Sheffield Powerlifting Preview and Discussion Thread

nathan2018

-When: Saturday, February 10 at 7:30am PST / 10:30am EST / 3:30pm GMT (local)

-2023 Thread

-2024 Roster

-Livestream

What makes Sheffield different from other powerlifting meets?

Two things: How the meet is scored, and just how much money is available to winners.

Sheffield is all about breaking records. At a typical powerlifting meet, lifters are focused on beating the other lifters in their weight class by highest total (best combined S/B/D). That often means forgoing world record attempts to take more conservative attempts they know they can make.

At Sheffield, you win by breaking your division's total by the highest percentage. Additionally, lifters get prize money for every individual lift record they break.

Storylines to Watch

Can Evie and Jesus Repeat?

Evie Corrigan (New Zealand) came out of nowhere to win last year's women's division by dropping a weightclass down to 52kg and setting both deadlift (202.5kg/446.4lbs) and total (460kg 1,014.3lbs) records.

Jesus Olivares (USA) came into the meet as a wildcard selection, having had a disappointing (by his standards) IPF World's the previous year. He came out of the meet not just winning the men's Division, but with a legitimate claim at the title of world's strongest powerlifter, having totaled more than anyone tested or untested in the raw division (1,152.5kg/2,540.8lbs).

Evie and Jesus will both be back to defend their titles tomorrow.

Showdown in the 69s

The women's 69 division stands out as a category ripe for producing a Sheffield winner - the current world record is relatively low, so beating it by a high percentage is easier than it is (for example) a weight class up in the 76s, where Karlina Tongotea (New Zealand) will try to beat her own 600kg total from last year's Commonwealth Games.

Three lifters will be going head to head in the 69s: Reigning IPF World's 63kg champ Carola Garra (Italy), reigning IPF World's 69kg champ and former 63kg champ Lya Bavoil, and last year's 76kg IPF World's silver medalist Agata Sitko.

Lya Bavoil was considered the strongest lifter pound-for-pound, but Garra is an absolute pro who returned to raw lifting last year after spending time competing in equipment. Sitko, the youngest of the three, will hope she can replicate Corrigan's strategy last year of maintaining her strength at a smaller body size. Sitko will also undoubtedly go for the bench world record.

Preview Podcasts:

-KOTL Men / Women

-2WL

Who are you excited to see lift tomorrow, xxfitness? Who are your picks to win it all?

Love Carlos Petterson-Grifith coming in and throwing his hat in the ring with the stacked 93 class. He's right there with Gavin and Cayco.

@nathan2018 I only had a quick look at the competition last year, but I loved it. I remember noticing Lya Bavoil (she has such a great energy!) so I definitely want to see how it goes for her this year!! I would have loved to see Jessica Buettner too but unfortunately she didn't make it to Sheffield. In general I want to watch the women's lifts, so thanks for writing who to lookout for!

@ambi I am not 100% sure how it works, but from what I understood from following her on Instagram, her other competitions last year didn't go so well, so she didn't qualify for Sheffield.