Should I buy 1 or 2 kettlebells?

evil_lee03

I’m an experienced lifter, but new to kettlebells!

Will most workouts use 1 kettlebell or 2?

This is probably a dumb question (2 is the obvious answer) but I’m super tight on money.

Thanks!

@evil_lee03 Not a stupid question at all. Most workouts you’d be recommended as a beginner would have you using one bell at a time, although some will perhaps require a couple of different sizes.

It’s generally recommended to wait until you’ve got the hang of singles work before moving onto doubles.

Obviously the exact program you’ll be following should be based on your goals.

@evil_lee03 The other advantage with only getting one to start with is by the time it comes to get another you’ll have a better idea of what weight you might need. Maybe a heavier one for swings or maybe if you can’t manage something like a Turkish get up you’d get a second lighter one for that.

@evil_lee03 Two at different weights.

For best results, you should be doing single arm exercises. Doing both at the same time duplicates lifting a bar, which if you want, just use a bar.

@lonlyman44
Doing both at the same time duplicates lifting a bar, which if you want, just use a bar.

It can mimic in in ways, but this is fundamentally incorrect. You still have two independent implements that can follow a movement pattern that is much more open ended (and usually healthier) than a bar. Overhead pressing is a great example of this. If your double kettlebell press exactly follows the same pattern as a bar you're not getting the benefits of the kettlebell.

But to OP - just get one bell to start, and if you can get two, the different weight suggestions is best.

@dawn16 I've had trainers state it's essentially the same. Even though there are particulars that are different, there was no results difference in using a bar over double kettlebell in their opinion. Others not kettlebells benefit from being used asymmetrically. You want a muscle group not working so it is available to help the other side. If you lift two bells at the same the cross support doesn't happen. Again, that was their take. Got any data on this? I can see where the path of travel for the arm is going to be different, so that should have different results.

@lonlyman44 Those trainers are wrong. There was a study comparing unilateral shoulder presses (using dumbbells) vs bilateral presses (using barbells), both seated and standing. Anything that was more unstable lead to more muscle activation -- standing activated more muscles than seated, dumbbells activated more muscles than barbells.

@lonlyman44 I don't think sources are needed. Rack 2 kettlebells and do a squat. Do any barbell squat. Very different. Repeat with any exercise.

Did your trainer sources have any legit experience with double bells? Most RKC / SF certified trainers certainly seem to use or promote double bells at some point. And at least for the SF trainers they could just point to SF barbell program over double bells and not rock the boat...

@lonlyman44 Watch nerd covered it basically but yeah - I'm not sure about you but I've met plenty of trainers who don't know half what they think they know. It's a very (very) low bar to entry job - you need to take most of them with a grain (or heaping spoonful) of salt.

Back