Should I consume protein powder?

alexaggab

I'm 24 years old, 5'6" tall, and weigh around 165 pounds.

Currently, I've been training at home. I bought adjustable dumbbells weighing up to 44 pounds (i.e., two 22-pound dumbbells as the maximum weight), and, well, I've been training for about 6 months now.

I started by lifting 6.6 pounds with each arm. Gradually, I increased the weight, and this month I've realized that I'm lifting a 22-pound dumbbell in each arm.

I try to incorporate proteins naturally into all my meals—fish, chicken, sunflower seeds, oats, beef, and turkey burgers, those kinds of things. My muscle mass has increased, but I have the impression that I might not achieve significant results with my current diet.

I don't want to say that I'm stuck, but maybe it's time to use protein powder?

For now, my body is more toned than it used to be, but you could consider me a bit chubby.

With this information, would you use it?

I've avoided them so far because I train at home, following YouTube videos. In other words, I don't have a solid foundation regarding my training. I replicate as best as I can what I see in the videos, but, for example, I don't follow specific sets and reps, something people typically do in the gym. I also don't know if my exercise form is optimal. Although I try not to overeat, I don't strictly control my diet.

I suppose during this time, I also thought that the weight I was lifting wasn't enough to warrant using protein powder. I imagine 22 pounds is starting to be something. I'm not sure if this makes sense.

Anyway, my question is this: Is it time to start using protein powder?

@alexaggab Hi, competitive powerlifter here. Age 49, weight 165

To be honest you can get big gains at home, but it's only possible lifting big weight. Dumbbells really won't get those results. It's not the diet.

You'll need barbell squats to activate your hormones and central nervous system. You'll see some serious results in short time

Barbell bench to get those shoulders and chest muscles to grow. I can bench over 300 lbs now, at our size that's considered a lot. It didn't happen overnight but my chest started looking good once 225 was going up and down 5 times in good form. I can do 14 now.

For the signature triangle look of wide shoulder and lats, narrow waist there's nothing between than pullups. You'll get nice biceps from those too. I can do 30, that took about 3 years to get to.

165 lb old guy bench 300.and 30 pullups. The mirror is a happy sight now but certainly wasn't free. Lots of hard work and never missed workouts. 3 days a week of full body workouts. That's it

Good luck, happy lifting