Should I see significant improvements after 5 months of training?

swindon

I’m 52 year old male who has lifted weights on and off since I was 15. I took 3 years and returned to gym in July. I spent the month of July adjusting but since like mid August I have been hitting it hard. I had a good sized belly and love handles. Other than that, I looked decent from a fat accumulation standpoint.

I have been doing fairly heavy weights 4 days a week, working upper body twice and lower body twice. I may have missed an occasional workout or a week when I was sick. I pushed to failure on all my last sets and got some good pumps. I don’t know if I can workout harder, just smarter.

The scale says I’m down around 15 pounds. I have cut out sugar and a lot of the simple carbs. I don’t do any real cardio but try to make certain weight sessions more cardio intensive. I have increased my protein intake and take creatine and BCAAs.

My stomach has come down a lot but still a problem, especially the love handles. I do see some muscle poking through the fat overall but expecting more development given my intensity. I know it is harder that I’m older now but a little discouraged because of my progress.

Like most men, my goal is lose fat and gain muscle. I’m not sure what adjustments to make. I was thinking of increasing my protein intake even more and get more strict on the carbs and incorporate 30 minute walks on the treadmill on my off days (so technically no rest days). I know I can almost vomit trying to get all the protein in. It seems unnatural to get 1 gram per body weight which I supplement with shakes and bars. I don’t know if I ever accomplished this goal.

Major victory if can lose my love handles and at least could wear shirts that are not oversized.

Please advise?

@swindon Are you tracking calories? Not just sort of paying attention, but actually tracking them? Fifteen pounds since August is pretty damn good and you should be patient with yourself. I think most likely you just need to keep on doing what you're doing.

@swindon I’d say just keep going - maybe track calories and adjust protein a little, but tbh 15lbs fat loss and some muscle gain every 5 months will add up to a complete transformation in another 10 months! Slow and steady wins the race, you’re doing great mate.

@caelesto Thanks. 10 months will be telling. Need to sustain my efforts. I struggle with calorie counting. Mixed messages out there. Low carb, no need to count calories. I believe not all calories are the same but as far as being in a deficit means fat loss. Confusing. I tend to pick the direction that I find manageable..

@swindon Congratulations on a lot of things so far: being consistent in the gym, exercising in general, losing 15lbs, having the desire to better yourself physically. These are all laudable achievements so 👏

You talk about "1g per body weight" which looks to have some key words missing 🤔. What, specifically, is the metric you're aiming at here? Do you mean 1g per 1kg of body weight? Or are you working off 1g per 1lb of bodyweight as they will produce very significant differences

If you are 90kg that's only 90g of protein from the first ratio but its 198g using the second....

Take a look at your step count on the daily as fat loss will come from the NEAT part of your TDEE. Your body burns a substantial amount of calories from just moving through the day hence the 10,000 steps a day guidance. Try and do 70,000 steps in a week and see if you can carry that consistency forward.

Lastly, drink water. Around a litre per 25kg of bodyweight per day. Yes it's a lot but your body will hang on to as much fluid as possible if its not getting a constant supply. Aim for 2/3l a day and, like the 10,000 steps, be consistent here.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

@declansdad Thank you. Good points. I meant 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight which I find hard to do because I’m 250 lbs. I wrote the OP very fast. Sorry for not being clear.

I was anti tracking steps but maybe I need to change my mindset on that. I have a desk job so I’m sure the numbers are very low. I used to enjoy running but these aging knees and at 250 lbs probably not great.

Your point about water consumption is a good one. I’m not great in that area. I drink a lot of cold green tea but not pure water. I will give pure water a try.

Thanks. Happy New Year!

@swindon I used to love running too but it seems to cause way more stress to my body and soreness that is not the good muscle soreness. Doc said stop running and start walking. Walking is easier on the knees and still gets the steps in. If you want higher intensity, just up the incline/walk up hill.

@swindon 65 Female here and the sounds to me it’s your diet. You doing protein at about 1g per desired body weight ? You keeping down fat? No refined sugar !! Carbs must be complex fruit and veges and NOT starch like white bread. Etc etc

@jullie I get it. No fun :). Good point about 1 gram of protein per desired body weight. I find it hard to eat so much protein. For example, I can only eat 3 eggs at a time. I’m fat but not a big eater anymore. I guess it is easier to eat 6 doughnut than 6 eggs.

@swindon Eh, I have been lifting for 2 years, and am a long distance bike rider. Am a lean 110lb and about 25% body fat. It's a lifestyle, and having a blast. I don't miss sugar, soda, cake, crackers. I hardly eat beef, and go easy on fish and chicken! So the one sure way to get that protein is protein powder. Put in greek yogurt, shakes, lots of ways think up or google.

@swindon Sounds like you are still eating too much. Try to eat less calorie-dense foods. Also throw in some fasting - you will see the weight come off in no time. Cardio is not really necessary when you are in deficit.

@swindon If you have a smart watch of any variety, try some light cardio (brisk walking) for 45 minute sessions in the week keeping your hear rate around 130 or less. Zone 2 is where you want to be. If you're losing weight your diet is working well. The love handles might take a while to adjust in.

Aerobic activities burns fat in a sustained cardio exercise in zone 2. Anaerobic activities build muscle, and yes these get your heart rate up, but only as a response to the immediate stress of lifting. Doing both is very possible.

@swindon I'm not familiar with Orange Theory but have heard the thump music eating pizza next door, but I think it's HIIT stuff, which is good. HIIT helps build endurance but may not necessarily burn fat in zone 2.

With a smartwatch you'll have a better idea of which zone you're training in and it's in the easy zone 2 where the fat burn is. But keep doing what you're doing, add some easy stuff to raise your heart rate and you might see some improvements. Overall, though, I think you're doing well.

Improvements come over long periods of time. Your body has to adjust. There's a lot of inertia in your metabolism and through your activities it's getting quicker but it takes time.

@swindon Fifteen pounds down is quite an accomplishment!

As for the love handles, perhaps you can implement exercises that make you work in this area specifically. For example, planks, twists, or crunches.

They would only require a few minutes extra to do.

Back