Should I take whey protein if I cannot meet my recommended protein intake and if my goal is to lose fat?

Hello. I’m F(23), 5’3 and I’m trying to lose fat. My weight is normal naman, from 61kg naging 58kg na lang when I started working out 3-4x a week nung October (cardio and strength training) 1,400 din yung daily calorie intake ko.

Effective naman yung ginagawa ko for losing weight kaso napansin ko yung protein intake ko everyday approximately 50-65g lang 😅 I’m eating chicken, or kahit anong meat naman kaso hindi ko talaga mahit yung 98g na recommended protein ko unless lumagpas ako sa 1,400.

Should I take whey protein? Will it really make me bigger? Nakakatakot kasi may mga nagsasabi sakin na magiging maskulado daw ako. Well ang goal ko naman is maggain talaga ng lean muscles dahil kapag pumapayat ako mukha akong malnourished tapos yung ulo malaki hahaha lol

UPDATE: Thank you po sa lahat ng sumagot! Really helpful! I’m taking whey protein na hehe, Rule 1 whey isolate to be specific

@elizabethwilliams if it's within your means, why not? the thinking that you're going to get more maskulado consuming whey protein is bull. just imagine you're consuming protein in a more convenient way (kasi you drink it lang) than chewing your usual protein source.

@elizabethwilliams Have you tried increasing ung protein portion ng foods mo and decreasing the other macros para no need to increase your total calories? As much as possible kasi I dont get my protein from synthetic sources so sa food ko sya kinukuha talaga. Also nung low carb ako parang mas ok performance ko sa workouts and mas ok ung energy ko throughout the day

@lighthouse4031 True this... i forgot to mention that my carbs are actually from veggies. Kahit sobrang dami ko kinain na veggies, since low calorie sila I still have calories to spare. Another perk is my skin also got better and digestion as well hehe

@daveblast7 High five to us for this cool life hack!! 🫶 I have PCOS, and my hormones and skin condition went waaaay better too because of the added veggies to my meals. Yay to us hehe, go OP, hope you see this!

@elizabethwilliams Everything comes down to the basics of science.

You should know your BMR(maintenance calories) to determine whether you would be in a deficit or surplus.

You can take whey protein if you think you totally can't attain your protein goals from whole foods, or you want to hit your protein targets without exceeding your calorie limits. You can actually have eggs, fish and other sources of quality protein.

Bottomline is, if you want to maintain a smooth transition to lose weight, always stay within a reasonable and sustainable deficit with your calories. Make sure you burn more than you eat, be consistent and you will see results.

Being able to know how much calories you eat, helps so much.

Being muscular is never done by accident.
Whey protein is a food supplement, not a muscle grower.

If you wana be sure tho, make more research and find for yourself, the factual basis

Good luck and enjoy your fitness journey.

@elizabethwilliams Kung naka deficit ka naman calorie-wise, hindi ka naman mag ga-gain ng weight, even if umiinom ka ng whey, kasi food lang din naman yun.

Tapos, if ever mag decide ka mag gain ng weight (by being in a calorie surplus), hindi ka naman magiging muscular in the same way as a guy even if mag weight training ka, kasi iba yung hormones mo as a woman - you have have much lower levels of testosterone, which is responsible for the greater degree of muscle gain in males.

You’ll still put on weight (muscle and some fat) but in a ‘female’ way. Look at female athletes (maybe not the more extreme ones).

@elizabethwilliams Women have significantly less testosterone than men. You have to try your absolute best to gain the same amount of muscle as man would get normally. Whey protein is just protein. It's a byproduct of making cheese from milk, it just happens to be high in protein like chicken or eggs. It's just food.

@elizabethwilliams Taking whey protein won't make you automatically bigger. It's use to reach your daily protein target intake (without having the extra calories from carbs and fat) if your diet for the day can't reach it. It isn't necessary if the total food intake contains enough protein.

In your situation it looks mukhang ok naman. Another way to check if you are eating enough is your lifts shouldn't go down even while you are cutting fat weight.

@elizabethwilliams Parroting what everyone else has said on this thread: as long as ung overall calories mo is at a deficit, okay lang na mag whey protein ka to meet your daily protein intake.

And don't worry about becoming "maskulado", it takes time and bulking/cutting para ma-achieve yung "lean"/"toned" physique. Good luck in your fitness journey!

@elizabethwilliams Girl, it’ll take a lot of hard work bago ka maging masculado. Besides, you’re on losing weight right? So, I assumed naka-calorie deficit ka, it won’t affect that much if you’ll incorporate whey w/ your diet.

@elizabethwilliams I consider whey protein as food so go ahead and take it to meet your macro needs. It is considered as a supplement primarily because of its marketing. Whey protein has a stronger case to be considered as food instead of almond milk and other nut milks.