Six months ago I found r/BWF and calisthenics - wanted to share my progress! (32/M)

cow_boy

TL;DR: Lost 10 lbs. Pullups went from 3x2 to 10x8. Dips went from 3x5 to 10x8 (+35lbs). Push ups from 10 max to 30+. Got off of CBD for anxiety. Fell in love with calisthenics.

Before/After Pictures:
Hey BWF! As the year winds down, I wanted to share my short journey in calisthenics so far. In 2018 I had surgery to repair a torn ACL/MCL/LCL/meniscus (skateboarding). The recovery went terribly as I ended up with a blood clot in my calf after surgery. It led to me not properly rehabbing my leg.

Fast forward to June 2020 and I have just re-injured my ankle for to 100th time since surgery. I vowed right then to get myself back in shape...I'm 32, my body can't be on the decline yet. Only problem is, I hate the gym. I like sports, and the gym never felt like that.

As we've all gathered, I then found BWF. It was a game changer. I loved how it reminded me of skateboarding (tricks, self motivated, working with groups). I met with my physio and made a plan. Three months later he deemed my knee fully recovered. But I was hooked.

I started working out with an acquaintance (now good friend) every second day at a local park. Jump ahead another 3 months and here we are. After 6 months of consistent work and eating well (major factor), I feel better than I ever have. I stopped having to use CBD to manage anxiety, I haven't had any major injury setbacks and have never looked/felt better.

Some stats (Before | After):

Push Ups - 3x10 | 5x15 (+35lbs)

Pull Ups - 3x2 | 10x8

Dips - 3x5 | 10x8 (+35lbs)

L Sit - 5 sec | 30 sec+

My Program:

I played with so many different routines over the 6 months, watched/read everything on calisthenics I could. My average workout these days is always full body with two push, two pull, a leg circuit, ab circuit and multiple skill add ons (hand stand, lever training, false grip training etc.). Usually takes me about 1 hour and 45 min. I train every second day.

My Diet:

I eat plant based. Lots of fruits, smoothie bowls, rice bowls, salads etc. I supplement vegan protein, creatine, glutamine, BCAAs, B12, vitamin D etc. I ate at a deficit for the whole 6 months. Ranged between 1800-2800 calories a day.

Some Last Thoughts:

Calisthenics has been such an amazing addition to my life. If you're on the fence about getting into it - please, do yourself a favour. It's challenging, rewarding, and really fun once you're over the habit hump.

Big love to the whole community. Hannibal 4 King!

EDIT: A lot of people asking about how I fit in so many sets. I don’t do my maxes every workout, I stack workouts, do ab/leg circuits and often go for two hours.

Also, I made huge jumps in strength because I was at a deficit after injury. My before numbers were a bit deflated.

Happy Holidays everyone!

@cow_boy This is amazing transformation!!! My boyfriend lost soooo much of his muscle after we went vegan (3years ago) now he is awfully skinny. Good to see that it’s possible even on plant based diet. He doesn’t want to take creatin though..