switch to 2 d/w or do something else?

kjm

Usually, I visit gym 3 times a week and repeat the same upper body program (I do not do legs for several personal reasons).

I noticed that when I go to gym 2 times a week I can do a bit more reps (or more weight) that when I go 3 times.

On the one hand, this "a bit" does not compensate missed part of week volume what is bad. On the other hand, this adds time fore recovery (which could help) and frees up some time.

What would you suggest? keep 3 d/week to keep load, switch to 2 days/w, switch to push/pull split 3 d/w or something else?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm in the middle of my 40x do not have bold goals in the body building.

@kjm Ya 2x a week is plenty of volume for an upper body workout plan for a guy in his 40's. The only reason to really change is when progress stalls, joints hurt, or you get more ambitious in the gym. When you do stall, splitting the same volume into 3 days may be your next step.

1 thing I'd suggest if you haven't heard is taking a deload week occasionally when you have 2 sessions of decreased performance in a row.

@kjm 41 here. Been lifting since I was 18. I do 2 days in a row take a day off, train, another day off and then 4th session a week. I used to to do 2 days in a row, take a day off and then 2 days in a row. But new job, and 3 year old twins its tough.

But skipping leg day?!? That's the greatest day of them all.