The high protein bagel recipe (+ adapted into pizza crust), 29g C/ 2g F / 28g P @ 257 calories a bagel

swim

Pictures first:

https://preview.redd.it/jujutaz0muf...bp&s=818c493265b565c730d247517841f9c33bb54159

Everything but the bagel seasoning ftw.

Pizza!

Hi r/veganfitness, and thank you so much for introducing me to this recipe (video link on Youtube here) for a high protein bagel. I made this for the first time yesterday and loved the recipe so much that I made them again this morning, adapting a portion of the dough (1 bagel worth) into a pizza crust. I used bread flour instead of AP, that's the only change to the original!

Recipe

2 cups (240g) bread flour

2 (256g) cups vital wheat gluten

1 tsp salt

1 tbsp active dry yeast

2 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp oil

1 ¼ cups water (hot water, approx. 110 F, warm bath water)
  1. Mix water, sugar, and yeast. Mix with whisk, and let sit for 5 minutes to activate (until frothing).
  2. Add all-purpose flour, wheat gluten, salt, and olive oil while mixing. Mix for about 8 minutes; it should be tough and stringy.
  3. Let rise, covered, for about 2 hours or until doubled in size.
  4. Punch dough down and knead for 3-4 minutes.
  5. Cut in to 8 dough balls, let rise on cookie sheet covered in saran wrap for about 20 minutes.
  6. While dough is rising, oil a large pot of water with 1 tsp of baking soda.
  7. Knead risen dough balls to get rid of air pockets, then take thumbs and dig hole in the center to shape your bagel. The hole will shrink during boiling/baking process, so make it larger than you would like.
  8. Boil bagels on each side for 20-30 seconds.
  9. If desired, dip bagels in to seasoning while still wet before baking.
  10. Bake for 20 at 350 F.
  11. Allow to cool before slicing.
These bagels are a godsend. I've been putting them to the test with spreads, toppings, and even flatted one dough-ball out for pizza dough (instructions are exactly the same as above, yet once you get to step 7 flatten with a rolling pin, let it rise for 20 minutes, flatten again as much as you physically can, rest for another 10 minutes, boil 15 seconds on each side, and then bake for 10 minutes). Things I wished I had known to know before I made them the first time:
  • I used a bit more water than the recipe called for, but that can change based on the humidity/temperature of your area.
  • Toast these. They are exceptionally chewy (and quite good, regardless) on their own. Toasting them gives the most bready texture.
  • I'd recommend making a half batch first. I may make half batches in the future because the high elasticity of the dough makes it quite difficult to add in seasonings after the initial mix. I'm going to try out a cinnamon raisin and a garlic/onion version next.
  • The pizza crust is good, it was some extra effort but for the effect it got the job done. Also chewy, but when I added sauce + vegan cheese and baked at 400 F for 10 minutes everything crisped right up. Kind of a "thin crust" sort of deal.
I'd love to answer questions about these. The game has changed, and bread is back on the table.

@swim This looks amazing! Thanks for the post and the tips gonna give this a go next weekend. I freaking LOVE bagels but the macros are brutal

@swim I think the half batches work great. I can't think of other mix ins off the top of my head, but I love to add toppings like crushed sea salt or everything bagel seasoning.

@juliedespino Roger that. Recipe definitely benefits from salt, last half batch I made I actually added both fine salt and some larger granules of kosher salt for texture. 'Twas delish. Thanks for your reply.