This is my one transformation after starting lifting

@claireanneh Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. :(

Secondly, I have a lot of admiration for the progress you've made in lifting! It's inspirational and certainly shows the virtues of perseverance. You look fantastic and the tattoo is awesome too! I hope by summer, I'll also be happy to show mine off. :)

@claireanneh I'm so sorry for your loss. That's awful.

Holy wow, though, you look amazing! Your back! Your arms! Those abs! All your hard work has certainly paid off - and it's encouraging to see that running has not interfered with your ability to bulk up those muscles. You, madam, are a warrior - way to go.

@dawn16 It's okay, I've accepted my loss. It sucks, but I think it made me come out as more a patient and generally changed my attitude about life for the positive. I don't run often at all and usually for no more than 30 minutes. I just lift faster ha!

@claireanneh I am a runner but not a very good one - asthma and bad knees give me a lot to work against so I haven't even managed to do a 5K. But that's all I want anyway. I started strength training this winter and I've been concerned that, if I start going for runs, it's going to shoot me iin the foot and undo the muscle gains. But it doesn't look like that's the case, and from what I've heard froom others, it's only when you start doing crazy long runs that it has a negative effect on muscle mass.

@dawn16 When I was little I was told I have "exercise induced asthma". That turned into an excuse for me. Which is why I never ran, I couldnt get 200m with out feeling like someone was trying to give me a tracheotomy and paint thinner to sip on. If you have bad knees, try seeing a PT. It may be ligaments or something else that really just needs to be strengthened! At least you can hope :) And yes, think about the difference between sprinters and long distance runners, even the quads! There is supposedly a correlation between amount of time spent on cardio and loss of muscle mass. I'd have to google that, but I am kinda lazy right now. But good for you! Keep it up!

@dawn16 If you have asthma make sure to get the correct medication, also get one drug which you use before running (ask your MD about it). Here in Germany you won't have to pay for it as it is a chronic disease. Having the medication reduces the problem enourmous. Still you have to start slow, if your knee isn't good for running try swimming or cycling if you want to. Canooing is also helpful (also a good thing in summer for your back). Most important of all don't see asthma as something which throws you back, but which can be controlled well and is a part of you.

@gigi23 I've got a regular "maintenance" puffer and a rescue puffer. I take the regular one a good half hour before I run, and I bring the rescue one with me. I don't usually have an attack while running, but I get winded easily, and it seems to take my lungs a little bit longer to adjust to running than it should - I have to train for quite a while to get them in shape. My legs can handle it much sooner...it won't take more than a month before my legs can go the distance without being sore, but I'll still be huffing and puffing.

I also have knee braces that I use. They make a huge difference. I've learned how to deal with these two things and still be able to enjoy running - I love it!

@dawn16 Sounds about right, the emergency medication (depending on the type) should be taken about 15 minuts before starting to run according to my MD. He told that one should also warm up for a good 5-10 minutes with a pulse below 140 to adapt your lungs. At least for me this made it so that my lung and throat didn't clench anymore. However it totally depends on the person. Anyhow, great that you love running, thats the fun part :)

@gigi23 I never warm up before I run. I stretch on the advice of a physiotherapist i saw a couple years ago, and that's it. Maybe this year I should try warming up first.

@claireanneh Great progress! Did you happen to change anything between August/September and the time up until January/ your most recent pictures? I ask because I look very similar to your August/September pictures but I keep hitting the wall of that stubborn fat phase. People keep suggesting keto for that loss, but I love mah carbs. :p

@claireanneh I am about to make this switch... I'm so sad about it though! I love me some beer. I've decided to bottle my own with a pal so I have no excuse to grab one of the SOs brews. How is it working for you? I think I'm actually growing a beer gut.

@sanobia206 Oh man, wheat beers are my nemesis....I love love love wheat beer! But its crazy how the gut vanishes when you stop. With wine I learned how to cook with it first, then would have a little sip. Worked my way up to loving me some cab's.

Back