Time and time again the guys adding the most LBM/density are the ones focused on moving big loads (regardless of rep range)

fender75

Ive made posts about this before but it seems time and time again the guys who are adding the most LBM/density to their physique are the ones focused on moving big loads in their training (regardless of rep range). AJ Morris' recent post is a perfect example, and it confuses me b/c his style (which many at the elite level have) goes against conventional wisdom here. He even stated he reduced volume/frequency (he trains things under 2x/wk) to put forth more energy into his lifts focused on beating previous numbers. Here is a post he made yesterday he talks about why you should train with less volume.

I mentioned this a month ago in a daily discussion thread and got the following replies from people observing the same:

/@bluebirdsong

I've been paying closer attention to the British scene lately. People like Jordan Peters and the Muscle Mentors. I've noticed that the people that train in their style (lower volume, high intensity) look A LOT better than the people that use the RPE/RIR/Renaissance Periodization style. (Including both natural and enhanced bodybuilders) I'm not 100% sure if it means that their style of training is better, it's just something that I've noticed.

/@leelah

I honestly believe there is something just missing in the research that will be uncovered in the coming years. There isn't a single top level level bodybuilder, natural or enhanced, that doesn't train like that that I can find. Volume and frequency varies quite a bit, but all of the cream of the crop guys train very intensely, every session. Brad Schoenfeld recently said something alone the same lines, that there is just something to it that isn't showing up. It's amazing to me how popular some of the "evidence based" guys are on reddit, while they are entirely peripheral amongst very successful competitors.

/@cj_muze25

I've started training similar to Jordan Peters' and AJ's style a few months ago (low volume, high intensity) and I am having the best gains in my life. I am honestly regretting the time I've wasted listening to people like Israetel and doing their stupid high volume programs with RPEs and RIRs and other stupid fluff.

Ive noticed the same exact trend across my 12 year training career. Anecdotal but I feel I spin my wheels a little more (no changes in physique when I next cut down) when my focus is on pushing volumes up through a meso, strict reps, max ROM mindset during each exercise, etc. This results in feeling more run down during sessions and just trying to get through them (cant give it my 100%), using lighter loads, and not increasing loads at a meaningful rate. (For example being stagnant around 2-2.5 plate RDLs rather than building that puppy up to 3.5-4 plates). Obviously my physiques portential rate of gain has decreased across my training career but there are 2 years that really stand out to me above the rest where my physique/LBM felt like it jumped up faster and looked better than normal. Year 5 and year 8. Both of those years I had this style. Volumes on the lower side, focused on using heavier loads

Just wanted to create a discussion on this topic and would love your opinion!

@fender75 The importance of moving loads "regardless of rep range" makes this a fairly uninteresting observation. The person squatting 315 for 25 reps will have bigger legs than the person squatting 225 for 25 reps. However, normally "moving big loads" in the context of hypertrophy relates to using heavy weight in lower rep ranges. That's when the discussion becomes interesting.

@j3r3m3 I know what youre saying but Id actually argue the opposite. I feel that topic has been beaten to death and most of us are unanimously of the same opinion on it. However if what youre saying is correct (more load for the same amount of reps = more muscle) then that should be the focus. If youre doing 225lbsx8 RDL, put all your effort into building that puppy up to 375x8. Dont get too caught up in adding volume and all that extra noise that will just limit potential and take away from what you can put into beating those PRs. Id say exercise execution included. Obv you still want good form with control but being overly strict/robotic, overly focused on max ROM for a leg press or something, no UMPH, etc can really take away from loads and the progression of them I feel.

@dawn16 When one starts considering the trade-offs of training in low vs moderate-to-high rep ranges, there's a discussion to be had in terms of where one should concentrate the bulk of one's volume for hypertrophy. Factors like stress on joints/connective tissue, ease of measuring proximity to failure, peripheral / cardiovascular fatigue becoming limiting factors, etc can come into play.

Generally hypertrophy can occur across all rep-ranges, but heavy loads (meaning in a lower rep range) tend to stress joints/connective tissues more, making it harder to perform the same volume if most of one's work is done in those ranges. However, it's very easy to measure proximity to failure in lower rep ranges, as they're within a few reps of failure by definition, and cardiovascular fatigue is less likely to be a factor.

Another consideration is that *strength* in lower rep ranges is more likely to involve neuromuscular adaptations / skill in a particular movement and is therefore less strongly correlated with hypertrophy, which is why training for strength in and of itself (as measured by a 1RM, as in powerlifting) generally isn't the best way to achieve hypertrophy.

However, the observation that "those moving heavier loads *regardless of rep range* tend to be bigger" removes all of that context and basically just says "more muscular people also tend to be stronger." That much is obvious, *especially* if we're comparing strength in moderate-to-high rep ranges where factors like neuromuscular adaptations and skill in a movement are less of a factor, and differences in strength correlate much more closely to differences in hypertrophy.

If one is successful in adding muscle mass, strength naturally follows (maybe not in terms of a 1RM if one doesn't specifically practice it / peak appropriately, but certainly in the rep ranges one trains). If one isn't getting stronger over time in the rep ranges they're training, they most likely aren't getting bigger.

All else being equal, someone performing RDLs for sets of 8 x 225 lbs will be smaller than the one performing sets of 8 x 375; assuming that all of the sets of 8 x 225 are remotely close to failure (i.e. within 1-5 reps), it's unlikely that person could perform a set of 8 x 375, and needs to add sufficient muscle mass to get to the point where they can move that weight. The question is which style of training best achieves the hypertrophy that makes one bigger and brings the lifter closer to being able to perform sets of 8 x 375.

At this point, I should also add that another definition of "moving heavy loads" is relative intensity, i.e. training closer to failure. One approach is to take the majority of one's sets to failure, another is to stay a few reps shy of failure but accumulate more volume. For instance, perhaps one can squat an AMRAP set to failure at 8 x 335, but on subsequent sets their reps drop off to 4 due to fatigue, and then 3. However, if they keep the weight slightly lower (say, 315) and stay 1-2 reps shy of failure, they may be able to perform 3 sets of 8 (perhaps they're 2 reps shy of failure on the first set, and 0-1 reps shy of failure on the last set).

The question then becomes which style of training will yield greater results, training with 20 more lbs on the bar vs getting 9 more reps. One also has to consider the greater injury risk going to true failure with heavy loads versus leaving a few reps in the tank and avoiding failure.

@fender75 If we assume a 2-hour workout, that's 12 minutes between sets. Even if each set is a minute long (which it wouldn't be if he's doing low rep sets) that's an absurd rest period.

I find it hard to believe there are studies that would support that style of training.

Back