Tips for sustained energy/daily recovery?

edmomillig

50M, 5’6” 165. Relatively new to fitness after a mostly sedentary younger life. (Quit smoking and started walking a few years ago, then added riding a mountain bike on local singletrack, then added gym workouts in the off-season last year.) Sometimes I have good energy for daily workouts, but at other times I can’t find the strength to work out even every other day. I don’t know why some months I’m in the zone and others I’m barely treading water. Some of it is probably psychological—when there’s something on my mind it’s hard to relax and focus on the workout. But I imagine there’s a physical component too. Nutrition, routine, maybe the beer or two I often drink has a depressing effect, maybe at this age twice a week is all I can reasonably expect (but it looks like at least some people here are hitting the gym consistently), maybe there’s something I’m unaware of having never been athletic.

What have you found contributes to or decreases daily energy reserves? Is there a secret or system to your consistent workouts, or something you’ve found reliably sidelines you a day or two? TIA

@edmomillig No secret. My experience is when I have days when I just don't want to move much, and I let it go on for several days in a row, it's harder to get out of that rut. So the best thing is recognize those cues FAST and nip it in the bud. JUST GET ON THAT BIKE or it may not be a day in the gym for reaching a goal, but just maintaining. THAT'S OK. Consistency is the golden fleece.

@jullie Yes, thank you for the reminder that it's called maintenance for a reason. Not every day has to be a record-breaking day. It's fine to do the bare minimum sometimes, or even most of the time.

@edmomillig Make sure you have enough fuel before you work out. Your blood sugar may be low because you’ve had a sweet drink or snack earlier, and your blood sugar dips. Also, very few people are running into the gym bursting with energy; we all have busy lives. Just go anyway.

@edmomillig I would suggest you get a full checkup if you haven't had one recently. Given that you are fifty I would also strongly recommend you get a colonoscopy. I'm not saying there's something wrong with you, I'm just suggesting this for everyone.

@roberto1820 Agree, and not just for colon cancer, though I have had a couple of polyps removed in the past 15 years.

I was diagnosed with inflammation that is probably from Crohn's disease after a colonoscopy last year.

@edmomillig
  1. I workout in the morning when my energy reserves seem to be the best.
  2. I drink a large 32oz tumbler during my workout with EAA's and Creatine.
  3. I supplement with Ashwagandha, Turmeric, Tongkat Ali, Glycine, and N Acetal Cisteine. (I encourage you to read scientific studies on all those and make your own decision on supplementation.)
  4. Most importantly I keep a positive mental outlook and even on days I don't "feel" like working out I still do and I seem to grow stronger as my workout progresses and after I finish my workout I honestly say to myself "I'm glad I worked out today."
All that seems to help me, but I'm probably old enough to be most of you guy's grandfather.

@edmomillig I agree with all said above, but sorry to say to. Booze plays a massive party on our mood levels. Gets to the point you have to wonder if its really worth it? Unless you really have 2 beers a week, cause who does that? The short term fix of the fuzz of booze just doesn't seem to be worth it as we age

Back