Vegan Athlete. 6.8% body fat. 3XGym, 3xFootball a week. High Carb Low fat

andrewjrg85

4 years ago I went to a dietician to lose weight and become stronger and build muscle. I was playing football and went to the gym 4 times a week. I really wanted to become the best I have ever been. So a diet was essential. He made me a meal plan as an omnivore. I was 72kg and 1m78m. I had to eat chicken each day. Two times a week fish. A lot of yoghurt. I had to eat 6 times a day. I wanted to lose weight. I started with a body fat percentage of 12% and wanted to take it down to 6% because I was really motivated to become a better football player. I was really comitted to my goal. It was my dream.

I started following fitness youtubers like Athlean X, Vitruvian Physique, Rob Lipsett and Jeff Nippard. Soon I came into contact with fitness youtubers who became vegan. I started following Jon Venus, Brian Turner and Vegan Physique(because of him I started enjoying rice and beans). They all have several videos where they document their progress, workouts, meals and macros.

I watched Gary Yourofsky’s speech, watched Cowspiracy and earthlings. I told my dietician that I wanted to become vegan so he made me a vegan meal plan. He made me a meal plan for maintenance of 3800kcal macros 47c/38f/15p. I achieved my goal. My body fat percentage ended up being 6.8%. I trusted my dietitian blindly but I ended up with an excess of calories due to adding too many accessories to the original nutrition plan. At the time I didn’t know what I was doing so I gained weight.

At that point I started to learn more about nutrition and health by following youtubers. I started following Dr. Greger’s Nutritionfacts.org. Mic the Vegan. Plant Based Science London and Plant Based News

I looked online how to cure acne on a vegan diet and stumbled upon a website about a girl who cured acne by changing her diet to 80/10/10 which is called high carb low fat. Only 10% of daily calories should be fat. Most of your calories should come from carbohydrates. I started looking into this type of diet and eventually changed. I read 80/10/10 by Douglas Graham. I've been following such a diet for 3 years. 3200Kcal 70% carbs /10% fat/20% protein (these are the macros)is my current meal plan. You'll gain some weight due to glycogen storage in your liver and muscles which is called water weight.

Determine how much protein you'd like to target commonly it's 0.8-1g of protein per pound of bodyweight as a guideline but you don't need as much. You can meet your daily protein needs easily by including beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh or seitan. Try to get most of your calories from carbohydrates from grains (brown rice, buckwheat, whole wheat, oats), legumes (lentils, beans, chick peas), vegetables and fruit. I used to buy frozen vegetables (broccoli, spinach, green beans, green peas) and frozen fruit it's cheaper and more convenient as you have to weigh everything. I used to eat a lot of vegetables (300g broccoli, 200g spinach, 100g carrots, 100g green peas). Now I only eat fresh vegetables 125g broccoli and 125g carrots but eat more rice and beans. My advice would be to get 10-20% of calories from fat by including nuts(almonds, cashew, walnuts, hazelnuts), seeds (chia, hemp, ground flax seed), advocados or nutbutters (peanut, almond) It doesn't take much effort to prepare meals, it takes 20 minutes to cook brown rice (Let it soak overnight. I normally cook for a few days in advance) and 8 minutes to steam (stovetop steamer) lunch or diner (kidney beans, frozen
broccoli, frozen spinach, frozen green peas, carrots, green beans).

For those of you who're interested in a 'better' program in terms of more frequency and volume. I would suggest reading A detailed look at why StrongLifts & Starting Strength aren't great beginner programs, and how to fix them - lvysaur's Beginner 4-4-8 Program. You should first learn to perform the main lifts with PROPER FORM by reading the guides on StrongLifts and by searching for instructional videos on youtube. You should also learn that you'll have to apply lineair progressive overload basically adding weight each workout. After you've mastered all the lifts you should definitely switch to Ivysaur's 448.
Ivysaur's 448 focuses more on volume, frequency and DUP(Daily Undulating Periodization) to get better results in less time. Read Two Easy Ways to Make Your Novice Strength Training Program More Effective which talks about periodization and volume. Mike Zourdos talks about DUP in a video for those of you who're interested as you can apply it to any program. Here's his AMA about DUP. Also read The Bogeyman of Training Programs (and why it may be just what you need) with an example of DUP.
With Ivysaur's 448 you'll do bench press and overhead press each workout but with a different volume by alternating between 4x4 and 4x8 as seen here. If you want better results over time you should definitely check this out. I did this for more than a year for more strength. It seems more complicated but all it takes is a bit of calculation to determine the weight. I also added bicep curls, seated row and lat pulldowns. You could also include pull ups. I started doing 6 reps instead of 4. It’s up to you.

I’m now 4 years vegan. I have a girlfriend who went vegetarian because of me. She doesn’t eat eggs but enjoys milk with her coffee from time to time in a bar. We watched the game changers together. I don’t follow my diet anymore because we’re living together and I just enjoy what she cooks. She always cooks vegan. Mostly rice or pasta with 3-4 vegetables and tofu, lentils, chick peas or beans. She also enjoys baking vegan. On my birthday she made me vegan frangipane cake. She makes vegan waffles and pancakes. We go to a lot of vegan cooking workshops together. We made vegan bacon. Which was red and white seitan home made. She actually wants to lose weight. She’s also seeing a dietician. Unfortunately I don’t go the fitness anymore because I now have a job and a lack of time but I still play football 3 times a week and go running with my girlfriend. I also gained a bit of weight but I’m still lean.

I just wanted to share my journey with you. I’ve learned a lot over the years. Hope this may be of help to some of you.

Back