Vegan meal plan: 1 day - 2,079 cal and 94.5g protein on a budget without protein powder or hemp/chia/other superfoods etc. (crosspost /r/xxfitness)

samueldob

Hi everyone, I know that a lot of people cite protein, cost, prep time, etc. as concerns when adopting a vegan or plant-based diet. Well, I have compiled an example day of eating that busts these myths. Meals like this will make plant-based eating a lot easier for many people, including athletes :)

Most of the ingredients here are shelf stable and none of them will spoil if left unrefrigerated for an hour or two, except for the blueberries if you buy frozen ones. So most of them can be bought in bulk which saves you money. Many can be bought online in bulk for savings. These ingredients are not fragile, many are sold dry, and are also nutrient dense so you can use your bike to go to the store or walk there and back without worrying about them spoiling. People can save gas or bus fares this way. Also, for instance, soy milk when unopened lasts 2-3 months at room temperature, so you can buy a bulk case online.

These meals are very easy to prepare and could be done in under 30 minutes each.
eg. boil oatmeal, add soy milk and berries, cut up banana or eat whole.

measure peanuts, hummus, and crackers, and put in container for snack at work.

steam chickpeas, spinach, peas and add sauce. brown rice can soak and cook in rice cooker overnight. cut apple in half and either add lemon water or store in water to prevent browning. or alternatively, eat the whole apple for a snack.

boil and drain spaghetti. add sauce, broccoli, tofu, basil, and heat on low. wash and dry peach.
  • I have more cheap meal ideas not containing protein powder or superfoods, so let me know if you want to see them.

Why didn't I include prices? Because each region/country has different cheap foods. Tofu is 30¢ for 300g where I live--if it is expensive where you live you can replace it with other high protein and low calorie foods. On the other hand, where I live oatmeal and lentils are expensive compared to in N. America. I have not included spices and seasonings like salt, powdered spices, as those depend on individual tastes (except for dried basil to demonstrate how protein can be hidden in unsuspecting ingredients!).

Why didn't I include protein powder or supplements like PB2? All of these ingredients--including b12 vitamin pills--can be purchased cheaply at any supermarket. I am not sure if the same is true for vegan protein powder. Yes, there are cheap vegan protein powders. 1: pea - 2: rice - 3: soy - 4: blend But this day of eating is to demonstrate that it's inexpensive to get 90-100g protein and about 2,000 calories and easy even with no protein powder! Considering that an average 60kg woman requires about 40g protein/day and about 1900 calories, this is an extremely high amount of protein, and more than enough for most athletes. For those who do want to go 120g or more, there are still many options. you could easily add a scoop of unflavoured pea/soy protein to either of the sauces in lunch or dinner, or eat a higher amount of legumes, reduce grain intake and increase vegetable intake (ensuring that you have a big enough serving of vegetables to get enough calories), etc.
After preparing many of these meals, the dishes could be soaked and rinsed without using soap, and a small amount of soap for oily items like sauce, hummus, or avocado. cutting boards don't need additional disinfecting or washing between ingredients because there is no cross contamination.

Breakfast
  • 2 cups cooked oatmeal (468g) 316 cal 6.4g fat 12g protein
  • 100g soy milk 54 cal 1.8g fat 3.3g protein
  • 1 medium banana (118g) 105 cal 0.4g fat 1.3g protein
  • 1 cup orange juice (248g) 111 cal 0.5g fat 1.7g protein
  • optional addition: 25 blueberries (34g) 19.5 cal 0.1g fat 0.2g protein

total for breakfast incl. berries: 553 cal 10.7g fat 18.5g protein
Snack
  • Dry-roasted peanuts (25g) 146.2 cal 12.4g fat 6g protein
Lunch
  • 100g spinach 23 cal 0.4g fat 2.9g protein
  • ½ cup dry chickpeas (garbanzo) (100g) 364 cal 6g fat 19g protein (edit: cooked yields 1.5 cups--which is a lot I know--but you could easily go for only 1 cup cooked chickpeas, at 15g protein, and still be at about 90g protein/day)
  • 50g green peas 40.5 cal 0.4g fat 5g protein
  • 1 cup brown rice (195g) 216 cal 1.8g fat 5g protein
  • 100g curry sauce like Uncle Bens medium 98cal 4.4g fat 0.9g protein
  • ½ medium apple (91g) 47.5 cal 0.1g fat 0.2g protein

total for lunch: 789 cal 13.1g fat 33g protein
snack
  • ½ an 8" cucumber (150g) 24 cal 0.1g fat 1g protein
  • 2 tbsp hummus (30g) 70 cal 4.5g fat 2g protein
Dinner
  • 1 cup cooked spaghetti (140g) 221 cal 1.3g fat 8g protein
  • 150g canned tomato sauce with mushrooms 52.5 cal 0.1g fat 2.2g protein
  • 2 cups chopped broccoli (182g) 62 cal 0.6g fat 5.2g protein
  • 200g tofu 152 cal 9.6g fat 16g protein
  • 2 tbsp dried basil 22 cal 0.4g fat 2g protein
  • 1 medium peach (150g) 59 cal 0.4g fat 1.4g protein

total for dinner: 506.5 cal 12.4g fat 34.8g protein
Originally I had put crackers instead of cucumber for a snack. I edited it so the hummus macros were realistic for store-bought hummus but you could probably cut half of the calories in the hummus if you left out the oil.

Total for the day with crackers and oil-free hummus, eg. homemade or Cedar's Original brand etc.: 2079 cal 40.8g fat 94.5g protein

Total for the day with cucumbers and regular hummus: 2089 cal 53.2g fat 95.3g protein

Alternatives:

Want more fat?

- Replace 1 cup of the oatmeal with an extra 25g dry-roasted peanuts at snack time

- Replace peach with 50.4g small olives (6 tbsp) 60 cal 5.4g fat 0.6g protein

- Replace apple with ¼ avocado 80.5 cal 7.2g fat 1g protein (gives you 822 cal, 20.2g fat, and 33.8g protein at lunch)

Want more protein or less calories?

- Replace Chickpeas with 198g (1 cup) boiled lentils and an extra 100g spinach at lunchtime 253 cal 1.2g fat 20.9g protein [adjust to your macros]

- Replace ½ cup of the spaghetti with an extra 100g tofu and extra cup broccoli. Total for dinner with this adjustment: 573 cal 17.1g fat 42g protein

..etc.

What about VITAMIN B12?!

Depending on brand, 240 ml of soy milk contains 25 - 50% RDI vitamin b12.

Kirkland soy milk 120ml - 50 cal - 1.7g fat - 3.5g protein - 25% RDI b12

OR have ½ tbsp of nutritional yeast with your spaghetti (shelf stable and can be added to hummus, curry, almost any savoury dish, used to make cheese sauce, etc.): $8.02 for 10oz. = 50 tbsp/container = ½ tbsp day. 15 cal - .2g fat - 2.2g protein - 100% RDI b12. Since vitamin b12 is produced by bacteria, this is a natural source of vitamin b12 8¢/day

Soy milk and other B12 fortified foods are not necessary if taking a supplement. eg. GNC Vitamin B-12 500mcg (8,333% RDI) - taken once or twice a week - $5.99 (6-12¢/week)

Please let me know if any of my calculations are wrong, or if you think you can't get enough protein due to variables like poor food options in your area. Nutritional information source: Google search

@samueldob Good job! But it can be improved a little bit. Skip the orange juice and add a real orange, you increase fiber and lower the sugar shot. And if you're lucky enough to have cheap tofu then I'd recommend you to check tempeh, It's a protein bomb, adds b12 (not a lot, really) and vitamin k naturally.

I would avoid the snacks, but I come from a losing weight perspective and I'm getting used to 18/6 or at least as near as I can. Your diet looks perfect to gain weight, so I'm sure I'll use it later when I reach my objective and try to grow in a healthy way!

@godgivenwings Hmm interesting! If trying to lose weight, I would probably keep the snacks but reduce portions at meal times. For instance one cup of cooked oatmeal in the morning plus the fruit and soy milk would still be a filling meal. Also raw veggie sticks instead of the crackers would probably be better overall, but for someone on a budget, whole wheat crackers can be good as they are a shelf stable product :)

I don't eat exactly this way now, but I did when I was working at a factory and had very little money to spare. This year there has been a big surge in the interest in veganism so I figured this would be a great way to show people they can get enough protein and plant-based eating is not all carbs :) Also I really wanted to keep the emphasis on inexpensive, very easy to make, relatively healthy, and easy to obtain anywhere. in other words no "superfoods" and no protein powders or other stuff like that. Of course if someone has the budget or desire for more variety I would encourage them to buy protein powders, chia seeds, or vegan meat like field roast and others.

Where I live natto is an affordable every day food but I'm guessing most people don't have access to it haha. I love tempeh but it has always seemed like an expensive food to me. so yeah, tempeh would be an excellent addition if you have the budget for it!

@godgivenwings hmm it takes getting used to. The first time I tried it I was disgusted, and I liked blue cheese back then haha. I definitely wouldn't try it as a spread although some people have it on toast. more popular with rice or just on its own though.

If there is an asian supermarket or small store near where you live, try there. In Vancouver, T&T supermarket and Fujiya as well as maybe others sell frozen packets of it.

@samueldob Thank you so much for this. My boyfriend and I are trying to get in shape. He's kinda clueless about nutrition and wants me to to help him but he needs to eat so much more than I do so I've been struggling to plan what to make for him! This helps me so much!

@bahamianbeauty No problem! It's great to hear that you are making the switch to a healthier diet :) I'll just add what I put in another thread here: This comes to only 1300 calories so of course you'll need to eat a lot more. But hopefully it will give you some ideas! :)

Breakfast

2 slices whole wheat bread 138 cal 7.2g protein

1 tbsp fruit preserves 56 cal 0.1g protein

1 tbsp peanut butter 94 cal 4g protein

1 cup soy milk (243g) 131 cal 8g protein

OR

sub soy milk with 1 cup orange juice 111 cal 1.7g protein

sub peanut butter with 3 tbsp hummus 75 cal 3.6g protein

sub bread with 1 cup cooked oat porridge (234g) 158 cal 6g protein

sub fruit preserves with 1 medium banana (118g) 105 cal 1.3g protein

sub bread with 55g Mini Wheats cereal (30 pieces) or another cereal from this list, or a similar cereal http://tinyurl.com/ycfsf5gk 190 cal 6g protein

Lunch

1 cup (140g) cooked spaghetti 221 cal 8g protein

½ cup marinara sauce 65 cal 1.8g protein

1 cup (36g) shredded lettuce 5 cal 0.5g protein

1 cup (110g) grated carrot 45 cal 1g protein

1 tbsp just mayo 90 cal 0g protein

OR

sub spaghetti with 2 medium potatoes (426g) 326 cal 8.6g protein

sub sauce with 100g jar curry sauce like Uncle Bens medium 87 cal 0.9g protein

sub lettuce with 100g boiled green peas (about ⅔ cup) 84 cal 5g protein

Dinner

100g spinach 23 cal 2.9g protein

100g broccoli 34 cal 2.8g protein

1 tomato (123g) 22 cal 1.1g protein

1 cup brown rice (195g) 216 cal 5g protein

100g firm tofu 80 cal 8g protein

1 tbsp tahini (15g) 89 cal 2.6g protein

OR

sub tofu with 164g boiled chickpeas (1 cup) 269 cal 15g protein

sub tofu with 100g lentils (about ½ cup) 116 cal 9g protein

sub spinach with 100g collard greens or mustard greens 33 cal 2.7g protein

sub broccoli with 100g boiled cauliflower 23 cal 1.8g protein

sub tahini with 2 tbsp peanut butter 188 cal 8g protein

sub tomato with 1 medium peach 59 cal 1.4g protein

Total of all meals 1309 cal 53g protein

@samueldob Dried beans are the way to go, especially if the budget is a high priority.

1) Try making your own soya milk from dried soya beans. It is quite quick, easy, and the soy milk keeps well in the fridge. Just put the dried beans in to soak overnight, before you go to bed. There are videos on the internet.

2) You could get a ton of protein, carbs, bulk and nutrition just from preparing dried beans. The key with beans is to a) have onions b) think soup.

Soak beans overnight. Put some hot water on to boil with some salt. Get two onions. Put the outside layer of each onion into the boiling water as an aromatic for stock. Also, bung in a peeled carrot and the rinsed beans. They will be delicious. Don't discard that water! Retain it when the beans are done and use it as soup stock. (You can stick a vegetable cube in there too, now.) The rest of the onion and carrot you saute and add to the bean water for soup.

You are left with a lot of cooked beans, some of which can be added to the soup, and soup.

I hope you enjoy it. Once you try it a few times, it is a cinch.

@jesusfollower88 ahh! yes, I do cook my lentils from dry. I feel like I've never really gotten the hang of cooking bigger beans from dry though... last week I soaked black eyed peas for a day, then cooked them for an hour, and they were still kind of crunchy when I tried them. I was like, what gives?! Same with soybeans etc. I have been plant-based for 6 years haha. I feel like I should be a pro at this by now. I'm thinking of borrowing my friends pressure cooker to see if I can make them better that way, and then consider investing in a pressure cooker myself. Also my SO tried making curry from dry chickpeas and they were still kind of crunchy. Good, but crunchy. I think beans are easiest to digest when cooked until soft, yes?

Also, I completely forgot about including onions... one of the most shelf stable veggies out there. Thanks for the soup recipe!! I want to try it :)

@samueldob Don't give up on the dried beans! There are a couple of easy ways you can solve it:

1) bi-carbonate of soda

If you put half a teaspoon of bi-carb into your soaking solution, the extra alkilinity will result in beans softer to the core. Don't add too much, or they will become soapy.

2) Sprouting

If you regularly cook beans (hopefully you do!) then try sprouting them. It is very easy, takes like active time, and increases nutritional availablity and flavour.

1) immerse in water at bed time

2) in morning drain, rinse and cover.

3) in afternoon, rinse cover

4) at night rinse cover

5) cook!

The cooking time will be much shorter, about half the time.

3) Pressure cooker

If you have a pressure cooker, that is about 2/3 of the usual cooking time and also is better at getting the dried beans cooked to the core.

Keep going with the beans! Once you get it down pat, you won't go back and will never regret it!

@samueldob The key is low and slow,you want to cook beans at the point where you can barely see bubbles in the pot,takes about 2-3 hours and they come out great.The lower you cook them the less chance they have of splitting too.I set my crock pot to low,go run some errands or whatever and have awesome tasting beans after 4 hours,don't even have to soak them either.

Back