Weekly workout structure

luciano123

I currently workout 6 days a week and each day focuses on an area e.g monday biceps tuesday legs Wednesday back ect

Would i see better results if i did a daily mix so 1 back exercise 1 bicep exercise 1 leg exercise etc

@luciano123 Short answer: yes.

Switching to a whole body "every day is leg day" approach will be somewhat more effective for most people.

The greater amount of recruited muscle mass triggers a bigger hormonal and circulatory system response.

Pair squat with horizontal pull, deadlift with horizontal push. Fill out with accessories for the alternate lift.

"Generally all my basic programs are constructed around primary push, pull, hinge, squat with accessory exercises as compliment. In most cases this equals 8 exercises (4 primary, 4 accessory) with a few additional abdominal, bicep, tricep thrown in at the end. Alternate primary and accessory, upper and lower, push and pull, hinge and squat. This gives every primary lift pattern a break every other session, while maintaining consistent volume to the prime moving muscles. It gives you a mental break upper and lower, and a break in intensity in terms of muscle mass recruited per exercise.

The selection of specific exercises can be swapped out periodically but should be readily identifiable by classification (push, pull, hinge, squat) and role (primary, accessory).

In practice the exercises are arranged over two days, performed 3 times per week, run ABA one week, BAB the next.

Abs and calves can be done every day as a finisher or not at all. Is a good idea to include some walking, jogging or interval training on off days commensurate with fitness level.

Every day is leg day. Push, pull, hinge, squat with shoulders, quads, hamstrings as accessory. Have used the following format with kettlebell, sandbag, barbell/machines, isometrics etc, it works with everything. As an example:

Day A
  • squat (primary squat)
  • overhead press (accessory push shoulder)
  • hamstring or Nordic curl (accessory hinge)
  • bent row (primary pull)
  • overhead tricep extensions
  • abs
Day B
  • deadlift or good mornings (primary hinge)
  • upright row or laterals (accessory pull shoulder)
  • quad extensions, hack squats or sissy squats (accessory squat)
  • bench (primary push)
  • curls
  • abs
ABA, BAB"

@predrag I look at it as a rear delt/trap exercise (elbows higher than wrists=pull) opposed to something like a military press (elbows lower than wrists=push).

Included because some people cannot do upright row due to shoulder impingement. This could also be a Gironda high pull etc etc.

@predrag Often trained with a bit more variety, a few years back had cervical disk issues that made me scrub all overhead work for months. Just did big horizontal push and big horizontal pull.

When I went back to OHP it had improved greatly with zero direct work. Came to the conclusion that direct shoulder work wasn't really fundamental. Not everyone will agree with this, but focusing on OHP never improved my bench or row much. The opposite didn't hold true.

@mikeb34 I like OHP because I like pressing overhead. : ). I bench, sure, but it's just another lift. Got a soft spot for rowing because my rows are stronger than my bench, go figure.

The first rep of ohp is from a dead stop like deadlifts, and that calls to me for some reason.

Aesthetically, I didn't grow side delts until I got stronger at lateral raises. This correlated with a bump in OHP strength, so it wasn't entirely for vanity. (That is, you don't need-need OHP.)

@luciano123 Very welcome. I hit on this formula after getting my kettlebell certification from Steve Maxwell. He doesn't (didn't) use this formula precisely but was inspired by his philosophy.

I've used this exact format with some tweaks with barbell/machines, sandbags, kettlebells, isometrics and with a wide variety of set/rep/loading. It just seems to have very few holes.

@luciano123 Are you following an actual routine, or is this more of a philosophical inquiry?

If the later, the efficacy of lift organization depends on implementation (exercise selection, set/reps, volume, periodization). Beginners are notoriously bad at implementing brosplits.

@luciano123 I've been doing a PPL\Arnold split hybrid

Chest\back
Shoulders\legs
Bis\tris
Push
Pull
Legs
Rest

Allows me to hit each muscle group twice a week in different ways.