Weight fluctuating 35F

doanu89

I’m just wondering if anyone else experienced this. I am 35, been vegetarian for 10 years, vegan for 5 months. I notice my weight can fluctuate 8 pounds in a month since switching diets. I am 5’3” and on the low end I’m 115, on the high end I’m 123. I’m fit and have muscle. But I really don’t like being on the high end! I’ve taken up running again, I eat a ton of protein, do pilates and yoga. Does anyone have tips for remaining at the low end of the scale and maybe losing 5 pounds healthily in a vegan and sustainable way from there? I tried intermittent fasting, but maybe I was doing it wrong. It didn’t feel sustainable. Today I’ve unintentionally fasted bc I haven’t eaten yet. I don’t know, looking for any tips or insight or exercise regimes/youtubers etc. I love how healthy I feel and want to be super slender and looking my finest for summer.

@doanu89 Stop looking at numbers on a scale, weights fluctuate.

Unless you are weighing yourself every single day, and the exact same time, with the exact same level of activity, meal times, water intake and poop times, you aren't going to have an accurate curve.

The reality is your "actual" weight is likely right between those 2 numbers.

@doanu89 It is normal for weight to fluctuate and it doesn’t necessarily mean fat gain. It can be from where you’re at in your hormonal cycle, water retention, heck even exercise can cause your weight to fluctuate due to inflammation in your muscle fibers. I’m 5’4” and constantly weighing anywhere from 139 to 145.

5’3 and 123 lbs is already pretty little however if you’re wanting to lose fat the only way to do that is through a calorie deficit. There’s no need to fast, just measure your food and stick within a calorie range.

@doanu89 If you have just started those exercise activities again recently, that's where the weight is coming from. Your body will retain water when starting a new workout regimen, that's very normal.

@kriscritical Just started running. But the others I’ve done consistently. I think also quitting adderal obvs not being on a stimulant is making me rethink all my habits and need to control my own weight.

@doanu89 I am about the same height as you and I was in about the same weight range and couldn’t make a dent until I was finally diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started medication. Could be something like that. My doctor never saw my weight as an issue because I was at a healthy BMI, but it wasn’t normal for me. I have a small frame and I felt uncomfortable.

@doanu89 My most troublesome symptoms were fatigue and depression. I also had a puffy face (which I thought was due to the weight gain), dry skin, pale skin, and some hair loss - not big clumps or anything, just lots of shedding. I have a couple of family members who have hypothyroidism also.