Weight gain two weeks into cut

yablod

I started a cut about 2 weeks ago and since then the scale has only gone up.

I've searched this sub and online and I know that water retention is common in the beginning but it sounds like it only lasts a few days, I'm on day 15 with a steady increase in weight each day.

I'm a 26 y/o female, 5'4" and 130lbs. My goal is around 125, so this is a pretty modest cut and I'm planning on taking about 8 weeks. My weight has always been pretty stable and fluctuates very little, but since I began I've gone up to 135lbs. I know I didn't gain 5lbs of fat in two weeks, but I definitely didn't gain 5lbs of muscle either. If it's all water, is there a reason it's stayed around this long? And what can I do to get rid of it?

I'm currently eating 1400 net calories per day (usually 1650ish total after exercise) with 90-100g of protein. This is what was recommended by a variety of calorie calculators. I've been tracking super carefully and logging everything in cronometer so I don't think I'm actually just over eating and not realizing.

@yablod if you’re cutting I wouldn’t recommend counting calories based on exercise. Just eat the same amount every day that puts you in a deficit for the week.

I’m also F 5’4” and did a similar cut this year! In my first couple of weeks I had to adjust my macros from my original calculations - dialed up the carbs and a little less fat. After that I saw the results I wanted every week. Those calculators are a good starting point but your needs may be different!

@yank1953 Great point! To get those consistent results it's a good to keep the calories consistent. If you stick to a number (lets say 1500), then no matter what you'll be cutting. A little more cardio? A little less? The only thing that will change is you burned a little more that one day. If you increase based on exercise you're assuming you actually burned the exact amount the calculations said (which are not that acurate). Also ratios do make a difference. When i'm on a cut I like to lower carbs (this helps me get to my specific goals) but sometimes too little carbs will effect my performance in the gym in a negative way.

@paabio I'm on slightly higher protein than I am normally and have decreased fat and carbs equally to get the higher protein.
I purposefully put my activity level as a little lower than it is because I know the calorie trackers for exercise aren't super accurate, but I do like to log my workouts. As in, I said I lead a sedentary lifestyle when calculating my base rate when I am a little more active (I bike and walk everywhere since I don't have a car)

@yablod Three possibilities come to my mind:
  1. Your calories are off, and you're eating in a surplus. If you went from never tracking calories, you could either be tracking incorrectly or actually eating more than you normally would.
  2. You're drinking more water and have a high sodium intake/take medication that makes you hold water.
  3. You are suddenly eating more voluminous food and have a slow digestion cycle. As in, say you're eating more veg as it's very filling but not calorie dense (perfect food for cutting), you could have more food in you at any given time which gives the impression of weight gain when in fact you're full of poop!

@barefootinbeth I wasn't tracking before which makes me concerned that I actually increased my calories haha. But I find it unlikely I was eating 1400 calories before. I'm reluctant to drop it below 1400 but that may be the actual thing I need. How long do stick with what I'm doing now before deciding to tweak it? I know these things take time so not trying to change things before it's time

@yablod I mean the 2 weeks alone for me personally would be the red flag that calories need to be dropped. Maybe do 1 more week at current calories but up the amount of water you drink to flush out whatever your body is holding, in case it is just because of water retention.

@yablod Water retention for women has a large hormonal component. You might see a couple pounds drop after your period. Also if you started eating high volume, lots of veggies and fiber that extra food in your system is going to weigh a bit. Be patient with yourself, lowering body fat when you're already at a healthy weight is hard and it might take longer than 8 weeks and your body might not like it (you might feel very hungry or fatigued).

@yablod Unless you are competing in something with weight classes I wouldn't really worry about weight and just go off how you want to look. If it is water weight why would it matter unless it's making you look bloated or something.

@yablod Do you use a food scale? Measuring in grams and macros is probably going to be the most accurate way to track your food. Other than that, it could just be water weight (especially if you're close to your period) or the weight of the food if you're eating high volume low calorie foods.

@yablod I’m honestly kinda on the same boat as you, same weight, similar height. I have lost 5lbs in like 6 weeks but my NET calories are between 500 and 800 (i eat about 1400 - 1600 gross w/ 90 - 100g of protein and very low fat).

And nothing just here not actually providing any help but like if you wanna cry in vegan or something together it’s better than alone!

@yablod I’m not sure to be honest, I’m having trouble believing I’m seriously burning 700 - 900 calories a day when I don’t do any cardio, just yoga, weightlifting and walk about 2 miles a day but VERY slowly because of my dogs. On top of that, my “weight loss” doesn’t really translate to the deficit.

I started at 144, I’m at 139 (I was 131 just a year ago) so maybe when I’m around there I’ll reassess

@yablod If your calories are accurate and according to your history you should be below maintenance calories, it’s likely that it’s water gain.

Stress can cause body water gain. Below maintenance calories is a stress. Give it another few weeks at these same calories and then make a plan from there.

Back