What’s is more important calorie intake or protein intake?

vanesagroza

Let’s say it’s the end of the day and I have 200 calories left to eat before I start to go over my calorie goal . I also need 50g of protein to hit my protein target.

However, if I eat the said item that has 50 g of protein, I will now have eaten 200 calories above my calorie target.

Am I better off
A. Don’t eat the item and eat 200 calories of something else that only has 10g of protein.

B. Don’t eat anything

C. Eat the 50g protein item but go over my calories target.

That is is just a sample scenario. What should I do? My main goal is weight loss

@vanesagroza I would either eat half of the item so you’re still getting 25g of protein and only just over on your calories, or I would fit another food item that fits within the calorie goal that has as much protein as possible. Hope that helps 🙂

@vanesagroza It's a lot easier to cut 200 cals another day, or burn them off with exercise, than it is to add that 50g to another day.

If this is happening often though you need to look at your eating habits and dial them in to hit the protein with calorie restrictions. Or look at your goals, are your calorie goals too low or your protein goals too high?

@agentsmith Yeah you're looking at an overall deficit. 1lb of fat is 3500 calories, so to lose a lb a week most people will cut 500 calories a day. But you could eat at maintenance Monday, Wednesday and Friday, cut 1000 calories on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and cut 500 on Sunday to achieve the same goal.

Some people follow the 5:2 diet which is very low cals on 2 days and around maintenence the others, though this isn't optimal for protein.

@requiredname Thanks! Didn’t know that. I’m currently trying to gain weight and some says I eat way over what I should and other days I find it hard and force myself to eat to the point of feeling sick so that I reach the calorie goals. Good to know that I can balance it across the week if need be