What’s up with GainsLab (Year of the Engine)? Scared by what I’ve read recently

patona

Last year, I decided to purchase the much-lauded “Year of the Engine” programming from GainsLab to increase my performance in metcons. Before I made the purchase, however, I developed golfer’s elbow which limited my rower and ski erg use.

I’m now recovered and had been excited to buy and start YotE. But comments on a recent post in r/crossfit included multiple reports of delays in programming delivery as well as difficulty getting a hold of Matt @ Gainslab.

While trying to learn more and DM Matt directly, I noticed that his two previous Reddit handles (@letsprojsc and @jimakoskx) have both been suspended.

Nearly everything I read about the programming itself says it’s excellent and I’m still very interested in following it. But the reports of missing programming, suspended accounts, and administrative issues are holding me back.

Does Matt have an updated Reddit handle? I found an IG but it hasn’t been touched since January.

So… does anyone know what’s up with GainsLab? And is YotE still worthwhile?

EDIT: My earlier Reddit searches didn't find this update link from Matt, but a helpful commenter did. Looks like it's just growing pains and I'm going to order the quarterly subscription and dive in.

@patona My wife is on YoE. It has come automatically for 22 straight months. She started during corona and has stayed with it. This is a big deal for her.

I saw the posts here and something is obviously fucked up, but it hasn’t affected her stuff at all. If you’re curious, I would email. If you don’t get an answer, that’s your answer, ya know?

I’m gonna grab some popcorn because these threads always get interesting.

@patona I started YoE a couple years ago, stopped, then restarted again in January. I always receive my programming on time. I don’t think Matt posts frequently on Instagram, but he’s always responded to my emails within 24-48 hours.

I like YoE as an accessory to my workouts. If you’re interested in building your engine it’s worth a try.

@patona He has always been honest in my dealings with him at least, and always responsive whenever I reached out via email. Probably been 2-3 years since I had any dealings with him.

@patona Recently started. Month 2 for me. Mail arrived. I also joined the Facebook group to ask questions and he responds to folks there who may have missed programs. So far so good.

Back