What are y’all’s go to programs to compliment BJJ?

7seals

I am aware of some of the basic kettlebell programs (DFW, RoP, S&S) but want to see if there’s some programs y’all like for BJJ that aren’t on my radar.

@7seals Farmers carry for a mile or two is my new one. I use a 60lbs Kettle Bell. Really good core strength and really good for grip strength. It also transfers to helping my grip while doing pull-ups.

@zylan Makes sense. Currently in between programs after a move and have been focusing on just carries and bodyweight movements and actually feel surprisingly good.

@7seals I also do different stances when I carry like above my head, clean position on my chest. Etc. It’s really good for muscular endurance and cardio. That’s ultimately why I do any exercises for bjj. Another really good one for bjj that isn’t kettle bell is if you can find a buddy and fireman’s carry up a hill. That’s like old school wrestler workouts. Using people for gym equipment.

@7seals I do combat sports (buhurt/hmb) and over gound Dry Fighting Weight is quite complimentary, muscularly endurance and strength has gone up which is helping me get through longer bout's while fighting at full intensity.
Though you might add farmers carry to aid your grip since BJJ is mostly grappling.

@7seals Try some double bell complexes. The basic would be the ABC. Neupert has some brutal ones and I’ve seen a few clips from Swing This Kettlebell Club that look brutal as well.

@7seals Dan John's Lifetime Warrior Workouts

William Wayland's Grapplers Five

Strongfirst Strength Aerobics - or Brett Jones' expansion on that, Iron Cardio

Tom Furman's Armor of War or Garage Workout

Jim Madden's Maximum-Minimum Program

10 years of BJJ, transitioned to Judo, running one of these for a few months at a time has never failed me

@7seals How often are you training BJJ? We have a number of clients who are hobbyists or compete and they do well with 2-3 days strength work but the volume is generally lower due to all of their other training.

Focus on 5-8RM loads and stay within 10-30 working reps of each weight and skill.

Many of them have also said how training the TGU (not with crazy heavy loads) has a direct transfer to a lot of the movements they do on the mat. May be worth working them into your warmups as well!

@ngie On average 3 times a week as I get back from an injury but ideally 4-5 times.

Thanks for the info on your preferred reps and total volume, always good to hear what generally works for people long term.

@7seals Gotcha. Strength volume definitely varies per person but it sounds like for your schedule focusing on the medium and heavy weights would be the best use of your time and still allow you to recover for jiu jitsu.

If you stay anywhere 80-300 lifts per month for each skill, and again 10-30 per session per skill, you should find it doable to maintain and see strength gains.

@7seals Basically any Geoff Neupert program. I haven't run it yet but "Easy Muscle" seems like it hits that sweet spot of the big movements with a reasonable training frequency.

Back