What do I need to change? Stalled and feeling a bit fat

skillz

I was on a weight loss journey since last June, took a break from September to October. I then sort of changed to recomp and I feel smaller than before but I feel like I've stalled for 7-8 weeks rolling up and down the same 2lbs probably since just before Christmas. Overall I've lost about 15-20lbs.

I've noticed changes in my face, forearms, legs, waist, mildest ever reduction in the lower part of my backfat which is a problem area and I have been proud of all of that. My lower body is also getting really strong which I love.

But lately I'm just feeling like 'actually when you don't suck your stomach in you're really fat on top' my chest measurement which is also affected by my backfat just has not reduced since I started last year, and this makes a difference to me not going down clothes sizing and looking big on top and I still have significant bellyfat.

I lift 4-6 times a week but I must admit since January it's more like 3-4 times. I have a calorie burn target which I usually hit most days through daily NEAT activity and I'm walking about 2x a week. When I initially started I was also focussed on doing dance for cardio and I'm not really doing that anymore I'm just more focussed on weights. Before I focussed on protein I realised some days I'd be marginally over my calories and some days I'd naturally be under and it would balance out. Lately I feel like some days I'm over but I'm never under, ever since I prioritised protein. There are days where I could have a protein shake or I could eat food to get my last 10-20g protein in after eating my main meals, and I always choose food, but maybe I shouldn't do that.

For me it would be more important to lose the back chest and stomach fat than it is to lose lbs on the scale but when both appear to have stalled then it feels discouraging.

Do I need to focus on any of the following?
Lift heavier. Increase more protein. Cut calories. Do more cardio. Walk more. Or just make sure I stick to working out 5-6 days a week regardless of if it's cardio or strength? The one thing I am most hesitant to do is cut calories. I am a short person who has always had food restriction related issues and impulsivity so I feel like it's as low as it can be. My current diet allows me to eat in a balanced way that suits my lifestyle and has been sustainable. And that does not mean weekly takeaways. It means quick easy to prepare foods (e.g. breaded chicken or fish fingers made in the air fryer with veg or in wraps) as well as cuisine from my culture (e.g. rice and curry).

What might be the most important to focus on to help me see some progress? And any other suggestions or words of support would be appreciated.

@skillz First, accept how your body distributes fat is based on genetics. I'm someone with back fat and belly fat but slender arms and legs, for example. To lose fat in the areas I wanted, I had to lose fat all over. (I did, there are before and after pics in my username)

I didn't count calories, or follow any programs. I made lifestyle changes and healed my relationship with food, exercise, and self image. Now taking care of my body doesn't feel like a chore.

I hear you say you stopped dancing. How does that make you feel? I don't want you to give up a form of movement you enjoy. We want to make long lasting lifestyle changes which become second nature and we enjoy. Or else we just lose and gain the weight over and over again. If you like to dance, dance!

I'm always an advocate of adding more walking. As with eliminating or at least reducing alcohol and caffeine consumption. And lifting heavier and breaking personal records feels great mentally.

Find what you like because what I don't hear enough is to lose weight/fat and keep it off - it's consistency. I don't want you to get to your goal weight/physique then it's unsustainable because you've been forcing yourself to do x, y, and z to get there but never really liking what you're doing.

@brightflame This is all great advice thank you. After I wrote this post I was having a think and wondering why I've stopped doing 'snackcercise' i.e. little bursts as and when I have time or a minimum amount on the days I don't have time for a full workout. It seems like as I got more into weights I got into the all or nothing mentality where my workouts have to be weight based and they have to be a full workout of 45 mins to an hour. And that needing to set aside time must have put me off. I mostly end up only exercising when I meet with my exercise buddy (a friend who's been PT trained and is sharing what she's learned and guiding me to progress with weights). Because I enjoy weights I didn't think anything of it, I didn't think it's because I really don't enjoy the exercise that I'm doing less. I think I started thinking the stuff I used to do before (mobility stretches, bodyweight exercises and dancing) is not worth it alone. I've just realised that's silly. Movement is movement. This morning then I decided before I go down for breakfast, I decided to commit myself to 3 weight exercises or whatever fits in 20 minutes. I did it, and I carried on for 10 mins longer because I was listening to music and just felt like dancing for a bit too. I feel really good about it.

I think you're really right about finding what you like and consistency, and I think the hurdle is not making it mentally into a chore. I enjoy my diet a lot and being more mindful has made me into a fruit liker which is quite shocking for me, my diet is really well balanced now in my opinion. It's nice to crave an apple instead of 2 packets of crisps a day. I could work more on my food relationship but I'm on the right track so I refuse to reduce the amount I eat too much. I never finish the day feeling hungry as it stands. I rarely have caffeine for the last 15 years and have never consumed alcohol so I at least don't have those to worry about.

I think accepting my fat distribution genetics might be the hardest thing. I understand I may stay top heavy but I just wish I could see some reduction. But I need to change my mindset and aim to maintain a consistent lifestyle change which includes good habits, that's a good goal in and of itself.

To add to my initial post one more thing I'm proud of is eating healthy and exercising at the same time, I've never consistently done both together. And this includes a short period of falling off the wagon for a month because I was going through a hard time but I made sure not to go back to old habits of overeating and I managed to maintain, eventually got back on track. I think I need to be more mindful of small wins here too. It's okay to have body goals but I shouldn't get blindsided by them in a way that minimises all the other good things.

@skillz I appreciate your thorough response! You do seem to be on the right track and I do commend you for refusing to reduce your calories. That can be really hard to do especially when we hear that's the holy grail. I'm more for substitutions. Like in your example you'll eat that apple instead of those chips. And yes, little wins are of course worth celebrating!

Back