What is the best 3 day split for building muscle?

sammyclifnote

Hey all

I've been training 2 x per week split for some time now, made some reasonable gains and ready to move on to training 3 x per week.

I was looking at moving to a PPL routine, although having done some research, it appears that this routine is generally recommended for 6x per week training. However, I can only train 3 x per week due to time constraints!

My main aim is to continue to build muscle and strength.

Would PPL over 3 x per week still be worthwhile? Or would an upper body/lower body split 3 x per week be better? Are there any other 3 x per week splits that are worth considering? (although I've previously done a full body routine 2 x per week in the past and don't think I can motivate myself to do the same full body routine 3 x per week)

Was also wondering if full body/upper body/lower body would be a good split?

Any help appreciated!

@mripke This is the split I've been thinking of doing myself. Thinking Full Body Monday, Upper and Calves (no shoulders) on Thursday, and Lower + Shoulders Friday. I've been doing 2 full body workouts per week and am gonna add a 3rd gym day. I figure this is the best way to divide it all.

@mripke I've been having the same dilemma. My uni schedule sucks and my workout sched is based around the amount of rest hrs I can get in a week, so I am considering this split as well. For my full-body day I plan to pick my main compound lifts and superset in some additional volume work for shoulders,arms,calves.

@sammyclifnote I run a Full Body split x3 a week since I do 12 hour shifts at my job. It takes around 2.5-3 hours but if that is too long then there’s a way to tweak it which I’ll explain.

The full routine:
* Hack Squat: 5 sets x 8 reps
* Barbell Bench: 5 sets x 8 reps
* Incline Chest Machine: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Prone Hamstring Curls: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Seated Leg Extensions: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Lat Pulldown superset w Cable Rows: 5 sets x 10 reps
* Overhead Press Machine: 4 sets x 10 reps
* Lateral Raises: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Tricep Extensions: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Bicep Curls: 3 sets x 10 reps
* Weighted Abdominal Crunches: 5 sets x 10 reps

For a shortened version to make it 1.5hrs, you can either superset, take 1-2 sets out or simply not do these exercises:
* Incline Chest Machine
* Leg Extensions
* Remove either Lat Pulldown or Cable Row
* Lateral Raises
* Tricep Extensions
* Bicep Curls

For each exercise, I prioritize having full range of motion and keeping tension at the bottom. I start extremely light during my 1st warm up set and gradually increase the weight with each working set. I rest for 60-90 seconds in between sets.

Bench press example:
* 1st set warm up: Bar x 8 reps
* 2nd set: 95lbs x 8 reps
* 3rd set: 135lbs x 8 reps
* 4th set: 155lbs x 8 reps
* 5th set: 185lbs x 8 reps
* 6th set 205lbs x 8 reps @ RPE6.5

I keep track of what working set weight I started and ended with which allows me to implement progressive overload as I gain weight/get stronger.

The 🔑 is lifting very LIGHT to compensate for the volume as well as to prevent compromising proper form. (The last set should feel like an RPE6 - 7)

As time goes on, I will attempt to add 2.5lbs-5lbs to every working set when I can properly execute the exercise. If I do encounter resistance, then I keep the same weight until the plateau is broken.

Yes I do this every time I go the gym. Good luck!

@gonzolita Yeah I still do it but modified

• Barbell squat
• Barbell bench
• Lateral Pulldown/Cable Row super set
• Lateral raises

If I have the time then I'd throw in hamstring curls, incline bench, rear delt flys, db curls, Tricep extensions...

But those 4 exercises above are my core exercises

@sammyclifnote Depends on a few different individual factors, but I find that most people on this sub vastly overestimate the importance of frequency.

1xfrequency (like a PPL 3 day schedule) works great. Just make sure to do high quality sets and don't be afraid to go to, or close to, failure.

I personally find that I get good results with roughly 10-12 sets/musclegroup using a RPE of 9-10.

The most important factor is that you find your training enjoyable. If you love full body - do full body! If you enjoy PPL - do PPL!

Do yourself a favor and read this article, it makes more sence than 99,8% of the comments you'll read on this subreddit: https://npcnewsonline.com/powerbuilding-you-dont-grow-in-the-gym/63930/

@rachel_44 That article is pure bro science perpetuated by a guy who's juiced to the gills with the genetics to match. You're not him, so don't train like him.

A lot can be said about rep ranges, total volume, RPE etc but the deciding factor is this: Muscle grows during recovery. Hypertrophy exercises break down the muscle fibers. The body repairs them by fusing the damaged fibers increasing mass, size and strength. The mechanism that assists with that is muscle protein synthesis but it only lasts about 24-48 hours. So you're only really getting significant progress during that window. It is not necessary to go to failure in order to induce Hypertrophy, Doing so only prolongs recovery time leading to diminished results. A good split will allow sufficient time for that muscle group to recover before inducing stimulus and Hypertrophy again. Different muscle groups have different average recovery speeds but the general consensus is that 48-72 hours is sufficient. This is all to say that with a 1x split in a 7 Day window, you're allotting 6 days of recovery for a muscle group that only really needs 2-3 and you're not going to see significant results in the latter days either because the muscle has already recovered thus its not growing at a significant pace anymore. Do 1x a week if you like and that works for you but if your argument is that it's superior to hitting the group twice a week then the science is not on your side. The best method implies the most efficient or effective method. 1x is not it.PMID: 27102172

@slow I don’t think the 48 hour thing is as cut and dry as the science community makes it out to be.

Get out in the sun for 30 minutes without sunblock. You can tan 48 hours later. Get out in the sun for 3 hours at the beach without sunblock, you’ll need two weeks to recover.

If you really are beating the shit out of your body with Jay cutler 30 sets in a session for a body part, yeah, you’re going to need more than 48 hours to recover. I don’t think the science community has studied that scenario. There’s people that will still have doms and or sore joints past that point. Have to listen to your body. Regardless, people have made decent gains doing bro splits before science with 1x a week. Jay Cutler made a Mr. Olympia career doing it. Save me the gear comment. If that’s what appeals to you, maybe it’s not ideal, but you’ll still make great gains assuming you’re not trying to be a fitness model. Maybe not the 100% perfect, greatest ever, per science literature, but honestly, does anyone really 100% do everything perfect? How much incrementally are you gaining compared to just consistently lifting throughout the year? There’s laws of diminishing returns.

@tsomnlie This brings us back to the first sentence. You are not Jay cutler. So don't train like him. There are fundamental differences between yourself and elite level bodybuilders and powerlifters. You know what throwing 30 sets per body part on a full body gets a normal person? Burnout and likely Rhabdo. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. We are not scientists so don't assume you know more than the collective efforts of all the scientists that came before you.

1x a week is effective but again OP asked for what was best. Not what would work for you.

@slow
You are not Jay cutler. So don't train like him.

You are also not anyone else in the world. By this logic, everybody should write their own program and refine it with experience (which is something I actually agree with).

Back