Where to start? Any advice please?

cutin

Hi all - suggested in r/stopdrinkingfitness might be some people here could help??? Copy of original post below - also I’m 51f, 5’6” and currently around 210lbs

Any women 50+ in here with advice to give?

Was moderately active right up until end of last year, then sustained foot and shoulder injury around same time. Since Xmas suffered from severe fatigue - probably a combination of menopause and stopping drinking.
Now 150 days sober (after nearly 4 decades)…. and 30lbs heavier. Recently had bloods ran and know thyroid and testosterone are fine (so not cause of weight gain or fatigue).
Any post-menopause women in here with advice? Used to cycle but can’t get back to that atm. Thinking of using partners multi gym? Would be happy to take a hit on the scales going up if increasing my muscle mass will help lead to increased energy and metabolism (then longer term tackle the excess weight).
Any help/advice welcome.

@cutin Many congratulations on your sobriety! You already took the most important step forward you could take! I would say there are a couple of simple things you could incorporate. Up your walking. You can just walk around the block at home, go somewhere special, or in winter i even just walk around the house sometimes. You’ll be surprised at how few times it takes of going up and down the stairs to tire your thighs out. Secondly, good hydration. Doesn’t have to be plain water, coffee and tea also count as long as they’re not full of milk and sugar. Eat plenty of plants. And lastly, and possibly most importantly, get your sleeping patterns fixed in and adequate. 7 to 8 hours every night without fail. If you get all these things set up, you should have plenty of energy to think about fitness, be it body weight, cardio, or weight lifting. Good apps i found for free (paid upgrades) are workout woman for exercise and lose it for cal counting, if you’re looking to do that. Good luck!

@cutin Weight loss starts in the kitchen. I’m 53, in surgical menopause and the same height as you. I’m down just over 20lbs (from 250+) in two months with CICO tracked via cronometer. My community has a rec center and I’ve been going there as well as upping my dog walking routine. At the rec, I do aqua fitness classes or work out in the pool by myself and started using a personal trainer that I’m working on strength training with.

Congrats on the sobriety! If you can do that, you can do anything!

@cutin OP, congrats on your sobriety!! Im not female, but Im over 50 and of course suffer from low-T so Im working overtime in trying to keep the fat off and reducing my man-boobs lol. It’s crazy how this stuff occurs in middle age. It’s important to realize that the path to where you want to be is a long journey, but that each day you are happy in that moment. I have a couple of virtual workout groups going and incorporate nutrition as well as mindfulness and personal development. There are some ladies that you can team up with if you want to pm me. We’re all in this together!

@cutin Congrats! I’m about the same age and height. I found my diet was the biggest issue. I actually hired a personal trainer who made me a meal plan that I could incorporate into my busy schedule. She really took into account the amount of time I had and made some really delicious and simple recipes that made it easy to comply.

My first few weeks were really just walking a few times a week for 20 minutes. So try that out to get started and try to log your food so you know how much you are eating.

@cutin I just posted this on another comment here:

Upped my protein substantially on the daily. In fact, it’s really the main thing I’ve done diet-wise in my 50s that’s been hugely successful in terms of weight and muscle mass. I’ve always been a healthy eater and very aware of my caloric needs at all stages of my life. I lean heavy into the Mediterranean diet, but I’ve always done that, so it doesn’t feel like a “diet” to me. I eat almost no diary at all now—-pretty much just plants and meat.

About exercise and movement, I subscribe to the Nike motto: just do it. Do anything you like at any level you can—-every day. I love sailing, lifting, and swimming, but I wouldn’t do them if I didn’t love them intrinsically. I’ve often had long stretches of years where I wasn’t doing much of any of those, but they are the three I always to return to, and the joy I get from them is what keeps me coming back for more. Find something like that—walking, dancing, basketball, climbing tall rocks, whatever.

Back