Where to start as a vegan (somewhat misleading title, possibly)

lazar

Hey guys, I didn't know what to call this post but i feel this is the best title.

Some backstory: ive been lifting for 4 years, but i got chronic shoulder, knee, and elbow injuries 2 years ago and lost all my hard earned gains, and only this past year, after tons of pt work at the gym and posture correction, i'm finally better. However, i have a fear of lifting heavy without absolutely perfect form because i don't want to go through that hell again. Anyways, during my injury, I had transferred to piscatarianism once i started studying nutrition. I try not to eat fish nowadays, but i still sometimes do, but i want to stop. I still eat shellfish though. Ever since i lost my gains 2 years ago, this would be my first time lifting as a vegan (in the process of transferring), hence the title of where to start lifting as a vegan.

Im 155 (last weigh in, about 2 weeks ago), but i might be less because i started my new job which requires lots of walking and also i took last week off from the gym. About 10-13% bf, 23 y.o. and M. Current macros are 100g protein, 440g carbs, and 90g fat. Goals: lift for longevity, put on muscle, and keep my rotator cuff and glutes strong.

QUESTIONS:

My main questions aren't so much about lifting, except for how to overcome the fear of hurting yourself and the best method to prevent chronic injury (ie ive heard mix up your physical activities and ensure proper form).

Here's my main questions, though:
1) what supplements should i take, if any at all?

I already eat nooch (b vitamins and fuck its tasty), kelp (iodine), brazil nuts (selenium), clams (iron), oysters (zinc and dha/epa), chlorella (dha/epa), fortified almond milk (calcium), and a multivitamin for the b12 and vitamin d. In one of my nutrition courses we analyzed a study or two about how soy protein with HMB (beta hydroxy beta methyl butyrate, i think) is nearly as good as whey with regards to initiation of the mTOR pathway (involved in protein synthesis, if im remembering right--it may just be general muscle building). I don't take that, but is it recommended? I also know creatine (ik it's synthesized by the body by 3 AAs, but I'd like to hear what you all have experienced with and without it) and beta alanine (i'm also aware this is made by the body) are popular and that both may be good for improving performance; but i'd also like to see what you all think/experienced. I also saw a comment mentioning citrulline (don't know what that is), and certain magnesium supplements are good for fitness. Currently, i'm taking epic protein for protein powder.

2) how to put on weight?

I don't know why, but i'm struggling to put on weight. I think i could be eating too much fiber (a few days it's 60g+ if i don't have any low fiber foods, and i'm aware 60g+ is generally considered the "too high" threshold for the general populace) or i could not be gaining right because i'm eating too much of the same starch; if i do this, the food can go right through me if i eat it to often for too long (ie rn buckwheat groats disagree with me a bit). My current macros are 100g protein 440g carbs and 90g fat. Also, i hate eating this much, and now that i'm working again, i'll probably have to eat more because i'm doing so much walking.

@lazar Hey mate, I feel your pain with the injury thing. I tore my bicep tendon a couple years back and had to have shoulder surgery, as well as recently fracturing my ulna and dislocating my wrist back in January. Injuries are always a mind over matter thing from my experience.

If your goals aren't primarily strength then you don't ever need to worry about lifting too heavy anyway. You can still make decent progress working with rep ranges from 8 and above and you'll gradually be able to increase the weight over time anyway. 'Heavy' is relative to you right now, so if you're lifting consistently and eating well, then chances are whatever you consider heavy now, probably won't be the case a year from now. As long as you're warming up properly and using proper form like you say you are, you honestly shouldn't really have much to worry about.
  1. I've been lifting for around 10 years and tried a fair few supplements as you do as a teenager, the main thing I'd recommend for training is creatine, there's a lot of grey areas with most of the other supplements out there and not really enough research done on them to know if any are actually truly beneficial, creatine research however has been pretty solid in terms of promoting muscular strength and endurance, as well as a few studies showing it improves cognitive function which could also benefit your training.
The one other 'supplement' I like to use is coffee (black), just as a pre workout as it can accelerate fat loss, improve muscular strength and for sure improves focus and endurance for me. I can dig out a few studies for you if you want to know more about that but I know caffeine doesn't agree with some people.

Beetroot juice is also good prior to working out and I'm sure the more you look into vegan fitness, the more you'll hear about the 'beet pumps' aha. It basically contains high amounts of nitrates which causes vasodilation resulting in better pumps.

In general day to day life supplements, you can't go wrong with a multivitamin and algae oil is a pretty good one to use too!
  1. That fibre content is fine for the amount of carbs you're eating, rule of thumb is 14g fibre per 1000kcal but if you're eating around 500g carbs then you can get away with 70-80g no problem. Everyones body functions differently at the end of the day and it does sound like you're eating a decent amount for your weight. Without knowing your exact nutrition, if you are struggling to eat that much then I'd suggest having some shakes/smoothies to get extra calories in, maybe a protein powder, peanut butter, some fruit like a banana and even some oats, not too hard to get down you and it'll help increase your appetite a bit too. I'd also add some high fat foods in there to boost your calories up a bit, tahini is essentially pure fat and is a really nice sauce that you can add to meals, you'll barely notice eating it except for the flavour but it'll boost your calories up nicely.

@lazar
  1. The only supplement I’ve been careful about is b12. If you’re eating enough leafy greens and grains such as lentil you’ll get enough iron. I noticed that when I stopped taking b12 I felt tired and sluggish.
  2. As for fiber, that’s tough because a lot of plant based foods are high in it. To combat so much fiber, try steadily increasing the amount you’re eating and try a slower transition. Increase the amount of water you’re drinking proportional to your increase in fiber. In general, eating raw vegetables is not ideal as they’re harder to digest and can cause some issues. Cooking your veggies can help break down some of the plant fiber. Some root vegetables (carrots, beets, parsnip) are pretty low fiber and a lot of leafy greens are as well. I’m not sure how you feel about vegan meat substitutes (Beyond meat, Morningstar etc.) but those are generally high protein and lower fiber. If you don’t like eating a lot of processed food you can also make your own! Tofu is high in protein, low in fiber and really versatile.

@sonriseforever Thanks! Ill try that. For me, the founder comes from the starches, or high protein food, such is typically high in fiber (ie nooch, beans, tempeh--at least the tempeh i get). Oh yeah and im making seitan rn so that's a life saver for low fiber

Back