Whey protein for beginners, please suggest!

martina1

Posted a month (or so) ago on this very sub asking for weight loss suggestions, have lost around 3 kgs already, thankyou everyone!
A beginner, haven't joined a gym and the only workout I do is 1 hour of walk, climbing stairs (8 floors roughly), morning yoga, some sprints. (can't do more since I have iron deficiency)

I am a vegetarian and I guess the only solid sources of protein I take are a few dry fruits, a glass of milk and the usual dal + chappati homecooked north Indian meals(I take a clean diet). ( i take soya chunks 2 or 3× a week)
I wanted to start with whey protein. (77kg, 5'10, f)
Would it be okay to do so?
(If yes, please suggest some good protein brand on the cheaper end of the spectrum, i was considering either amul or patanjali one!?)

@martina1 Go for Atom DRC flavour. If you want more cheaper, go for AsItIs Raw (same brand ). They're cheap high quality options for newbies.

And Patanjali? Seriously?

@martina1 Patanjali is big no no because they fake their protein percentage per scoop. Just like their another products, QC ain't their strong forte. Better go for reputed brands, independently verified by many.

I'm not advocating atom whey, but just like you I've started taking protein since last 4 months. First I chose AsItIs raw (no flavour), it's like 1.5k,₹. Shit taste, so I'd mix it with 250g of curd. I didn't find it convenient, so I bought Atom Dark rich chocolate. Mixability is good, and tastes better. I also tried Mango flavour, but I didn't like it.

At 1500-1700 it's good option. People also take NakPro Gold. It's in the same price range. Highly rated along with Atom. But I never personally tried it.

@davidhussy yes, i did check out about atom whey too.
I will rather avoid the raw unflavored one and get the chocolate / choco hazel variant too!
thankyou so much for helping out :)

@martina1 I would not suggest saving on money on whey. Vaise bhi, you will only be taking it once a day.

So 2.5kg would last around 80 days easily.
  1. Muscle blaze (why protien/whey performance)
  2. My Protien (chocolate smoothie)
  3. Best - ON Gold.

@martina1 Try getting it from the Healthkart showrooms.

1. You can get protein shakers for free with the purchase.
  1. Once you become a premium member, you will get an additional 2-5% off.
Good luck.

@martina1 I am an unflavoured Whey propaganda'ist :). Why not Raw/Unflavoured Protein? Rather than consuming fillers and artificial flavours , mix your own artificial flavours in unflavoured protein. You can buy a variety of food flavours or one day with chocolate syrup the next with Strawberry, one day with coffee powder the next with Banana pulp or make some tea and mix with Protein. I wonder how people consume the same flavour over a month :)

Nakpro protein is another Viable option.

@rattikin thanks for the recommendation! :)
i was thinking about doing this but i am afraid it will taste very bland and i will have to compensate by adding sugar. is it so? or it can be consumed w/o sugar too?
(coffee, fruits, tea are great suggestions tho!)

Back