Why is higher weight fewer reps better?

drewman

I’m just curious on thoughts and the facts on higher weight x lower reps vs lower weight higher reps?

During the summer I was mostly running and not lifting as much. To get back into it I’ve been doing less weight and 8-10 reps on compound lifts. A lot of workouts call for 5 reps on compound lifts, but I find my form isn’t as good throughout the lift. All isolation exercises seem to still call for an 8-12 range. What is truly the advantage of a higher weight 5 reps vs a lower weight 8-12 on compound movements?

Cheers!

@drewman It's not "better". It's neither better or worse. It entirely depends on your goals, your preferences, and your current abilities.

I'm a PT. Most of my new clients want the same general thing when they first approach me - a better body than they currently have. That's subjective, of course, but usually it involves building some muscle and losing some fat (what is often referred to as "toning up").

The best rep range for that to happen is, broadly speaking, around 8-12 reps on most exercises. Where the last two reps should be tough but manageable. Obviously i want my clients to be able to manage the weight and the movement confidently, so i might start them on a lighter weight and ask for 12-15 reps for a couple of weeks in order to build muscle coordination. When they're confident, we increase the weight and reduce the reps accordingly.

Once clients are comfortably lifting and progressing in the 8-12 rep range, we might (depending on various factors) start working in the 5-8 range on some movements with a heavier weight - so that those last two reps are still tough but manageable. This is in order to build strength a little before reverting back to that 8-12 range with a higher weight than previously. This is progressive overload and periodisation.

In summary, don't reduce the reps and increase the weight until you are comfortable and confident enough to do so, and then only if it aligns with your goals.

@roguemouser Kind of a embarrasing question but can I gain some muscle in a calorie deficit and a small amount of protein? I have a couple of dumbells and I can do squats and stuff, but eating enough protein is not in my budget. Im not planning on getting huge muscles, just idk what do call it, toned? From what Ive heard I need maybe 80-100 grams of protein, but can I get results with way less protein?

@hogmaw It's a nuanced question - or rather a question with a nuanced answer.

The short answer is yes, you can build muscle in a calorie deficit. As a beginner you certainly can. The more experienced you are, the harder it becomes to do that.

With regards to protein, it's essential for building muscle. You will be eating protein - whether you're eating enough for muscle growth, i can't say.

@marsha445 It's better than the old day job, that's for sure.

I find i have surprisingly little time to fit in my own training, but i never really get fed up of being at work (with the exception of the odd evening) when i'm working with clients.

My partner and I run a fitness business which involves three elements: traditional face-to-face coaching; affordable online classes; and high-ticket bespoke online coaching. So we're pretty busy with all of those things going on, but it's all good :)

@drewman The choice between higher weight and lower reps versus lower weight and higher reps largely depends on your fitness goals. Higher weight and lower reps (like 5 reps) are typically used for strength and power gains. This helps you lift heavier weights, which can lead to increased muscle mass over time. On the other hand, lower weight and higher reps (like 8-12) are often employed for hypertrophy, focusing on muscle size and endurance. It's essential to strike a balance between both in your routine, depending on your objectives. If your form is better with 8-10 reps on compound lifts, it's okay to stick with it and gradually increase weight as your strength improves.

@hesgoturback So the thinking around this is starting to change more recently with newer research.

The research is pointing more towards the idea that the actual rep scheme doesn’t matter (much) more so the intensity is what is important.

As already pointed out by RealFitnessUK pointed out, for a given rep scheme, you want about 2 reps left in the tank.
So doing 8 reps, ideally want to have been able to do 10 at that weight.
Where this gets difficult is for larger rep schemes (eg 20 reps), is that how do you really quantify 2 reps left?

This is a generalization to some extent, but most people tend to underestimate how many more they could have done. I see this all the time with my clients.

I would also say, for someone just starting out, it’s ok to not hit that intensity right away. Progress slow. I often recommend to my new clients that we don’t increase the weight unless they have 3-4 reps in the tank.