Will lack of core training hold me back?

pennyrn

I’ve been training for about 3 years (albeit on and off due to covid lockdowns)
Training is going well and feel like I’m making some consistent progress now.

Currently doing P,P,L,P,P,L,every week. But something that has been in the back of my mind is that I’ve neglected core exercises the whole time.

Can probably count on 2 hands the amount of times I’ve gone to train Abs. Not sure why I don’t train core, maybe it’s because I don’t care about a 6 pack, maybe it’s because I don’t enjoy doing it.

I just wanted to know how much it could hold me back in my overall progress, if at all?

@pennyrn Depends on what "progress" you're referring to holding back.

Overall physique? ( Seeing as this is a bodybuilding sub) Yes obviously.

Lifts? Depending on which lifts, yeah it may hold you back.

Life in general? Certainly. The bigger you are, the more you're core has to stabilize. The heavier you lift, the more your core has to stabilize. And it protects your back.

All that being said, if you are setting up your lifts properly, you ARE still training core to a degree. It's involved in everything really.

My pitch to you is this though. You lift because you want to take care of yourself/look better/track lift progress/etc., so why not throw some core days in?

You stand nothing to lose.

@pennyrn Many exercises will train your core isometrically as it works as a stabilizer muscle. For some people, especially people who don't care about their abs' appearance, that's enough.

If you want hypertrophy of your ab muscles, you should do direct ab training a couple of times per week.

@pinetowntree Got any tips/ideas for someone (me) who wants to incorporate Ab work into their routine?

I train my Core with Overhead Carries, Pallof Presses & Offset Carries, but I'd like to do some direct Ab work that doesn't include grip work/holding weights.

@piecebypeace I like a plate loaded ab crunch machine if your gym has one. Really try to lock in on a range of motion that you’re able to avoid cheating, 15-20 reps, 30 second rest, 3-4 sets, just really try to accumulate a lot of volume and feel the mind muscle connection so you’re hips don’t contribute too much.

@pinetowntree
15-20 reps, 30 second rest, 3-4 sets,

For abs/obliques, is high reps lower weight really the way to go versus higher weight less reps or what? My goal is for my abs and Adonis Belt to show more. Granted I know that low body fat % is part of the deal too for that.

I've been doing 8-9 reps, up to 90 second rest if necessary, 3 sets of a heavier weight with the ab machine at my gym.

@asperd I think they're both viable. But, if you haven't been training abs at all, you probably just need to focus on mind muscle connection using lower weights and getting your reps consistent. It's also just boring and miserable to train abs so short rest and high reps gets the volume in quickly so you can move on.

@pennyrn As somebody who is new to this, my understanding is that core training is the most important thing to get right. Do I need a more nuanced understanding?

@anon77777 That's why I said I was new. For what I'm trying to achieve, I can't imagine being successful in anything without core strength at the centre of it all. But maybe I'm wrong.

@obgf I deadlfited 200kg and squatted 150kg without doing any core training. If having impressive abs is your goal then obviously you need to train them but it isn't neccesary otherwise

@anon77777 Thank you for your answer. This reinforces just how new and naive I am to this.

Your squatting and deadlifting capabilities are very impressive. But this kind of aspiration is frightening to me because I have patella tracking problems on my right knee and it doesn't take much to cause problems.

My feet and legs aren't vertically aligned properly (I don't know the correct term for this). My feet roll inwards slightly. A physiotherapist once told me that the muscles on my backside are "tight but weak" and that this is causing the patella tracking problems. Unfortunately I cannot afford any more physiotherapy.

I think I need to address this before I cause myself injury. Do you know of a sub where I could find out more information?

One of the several reasons I like core training is that it doesn't aggravate my knee too badly. However this could also be rationalization to avoid exercise that causes my knee to flare up.

@pennyrn Just don't skimp on compound barbell and dumbbell lifts. And choose movements for your programing that involve abs indirectly. Like a z press instead of a shoulder press. That way you can tack on some quick accessories one day a week and will be just fine.

@pennyrn I think you get enough core training from the big compound lifts I've never done any type of core training in 20 years of training.but everybody is different I suppose