work out program to improve the fitness of a giant who is about to turn 50..

followernotfan

Me: 6'9" (206cm), 325lbs (147kg). Turning 50 in a couple months. Have HBP, on medication to treat. Strong, with a bit of a spare tire, but not totally flabby. Super strong legs, back, shoulders. Ex-downhill skier, v-ball player, b-ball, collegiate rower, shot/discus/javelin thrower, afterwork (beer league) soccer player. Have been a desk jockey for the past 25 years, with varying levels of activity since university days. For a variety of reasons (including COVID), the last couple of years have been less active than before. (also not a runner, bad feet... like cycling or rowing if i have to do endurance).

During the spring-summer-fall months, I help a buddy on weekends who is an urban arborist, hauling tree debris and hurling/carrying/moving large logs (think Commando Schwarzenager :) ) for 8-16 hours.

Just renewed Y membership, so I don't have current weight maxes, but last time I had to do stuff (physio for a blown ACL), my leg curls were around 220lbs (per leg) (pretty much the stack on the machine), and squats ~400-450 (per leg). Upper body, your guess is as good as mine. still strong, just not as strong as legs. Can't say I've tried a bench press in decades.

So given all that info, can someone point me in a good direction? What should I start with? Looking for a basic workout routine I can do at the local YMCA gym (don't judge me) for about an hour (1.5hr max) a day to get back into shape. Lose a bit of weight and flab, build some muscle, get better endurance, and generally not feel like a sack of potatoes..

@followernotfan Give the https://thefitness.wiki a read specifically the fat loss section. Pick a routine from there (5/3/1 is my personal choice) and stick with it this will get your the muscle gains. For fat loss look to what your eating and be in a calorie deficit (the wiki will help). Do some cardio few times a week as its just good for you and can help assist with fat loss (most exercise can but the best way is through eating less food).
Hope this helps

@ericph I agree that a routine focused on fat loss and dietary changes will help since it sounds like you already lead a pretty active life.

FWIW, my mom (60s) was able to significantly reduce her HBP and medication needs by very simple dietary changes. I think if she was even moderately active, she could probably go off of them completely.