Worked out after 4 years using the stair master but don’t want to over do it

itscw

29 184 pounds and I haven’t worked out in 4 years til I just moved to my new place that has a small fitness center and I liked the stairmaster.

However when I work out on the treadmill my heart rate goes to 160-170 and it’s not even 2 minutes in the workout and I stop. I have bad health anxiety and I don’t want to have a medical emergency working out. Is this normal for people not in shape or non athletes or do I need to see my doctor about my high heart rate?

What do yall recommend me to do to get a good workout but not over do it ? I don’t want a 6 pack or look like Arnold but I just want to work out 5 days a week during the work week safely.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

@itscw Start small and slow and build up.

Maybe for your first workout just do 5 minutes at a slowish pace.

Second workout, 6 minutes. Third, 7 minutes. Etc

If you're getting gassed after just a minute or two, slow way down.

Find a baseline that you can do that feels like you put it work, got your breathing and heartrate up but isn't killing you. Slowly increase from there.

At no point should you be gasping for air yet. You can try to push yourself later, for now just get acclimated.

@itscw Yeah, I'm pretty fit and I kinda fear the stair master.

Same trick as running long distance though. Go as slow as you need to to keep going. Go too quick and you burn out. Don't burn out!

@itscw At 29, 160-170 with exhertion is okay, but it happening that quickly indicates a conditioning issue more than anything else imo.

Consider doing zone 2 walking for the next month or two Daily for an hour or half hour if you can manage it to work up to the more intense excercise at a higher heart rate.

If you have a chest heart monitor they're more accurate.

The Fuel Your Strength podcast has a good episode about zone 2 training called "Cardiovascular Fitnes and Training for Women w/ Dr. Alyssa Olenick (part 2)"

It's aimed at older women but the information is pretty universal

@itscw First off, make sure your hr monitor is accurate. Sometimes when my hr seems off on my watch, I check my pulse, and most, if not all watches are inaccurate when you first start working out, however, in my experience, my watch always gives me a lower hr rather than a higher hr when starting off. The most accurate, affordable, and accessible hr monitors are chest straps.

Secondly, if your heart rate is that high in your first 2 mins, you’re definitely pushing too hard for cardio. Depending on how intense you’re going, your simply just out of shape, or even your hr is normal. My heart would get higher in 2 mins if I sprinted 800m for example. It’s never a bad idea to check with your doctor if you have health concerns. Find your max hr, and target certain hr zones to match the intensity you want.

What are you doing on the treadmill; walking or running? If you’re walking, I’d suggest checking with your doctor, but if you’re running, there’s nothing wrong with walking, cycling, swimming or pool walking, or rowing. Those exercises are a whole lot less intense than running. Running can shoot your hr up if you’re not in the best shape quite yet.

But regardless, I suggest you check with your doctor, especially if you feel like something could be wrong.

@itscw It's best practice to get a physical when restarting exercise. It will help ease your exercise anxiety. Regular anxiety is for a therapist.

Considering the goal you stated, there's no need to make your workouts super hard for the first few weeks, or at all. Start gradually, enjoy, intensify as you build comfort