Workout plan-32 year old female

joneshomes

Sorry so long!
Hello! I’m trying to tone up (nothing major, just hoping my stomach will flatten a tiny bit and maybe arms/legs less flabby). I had two children which didn’t help I’m sure but overall I’m just generally never been “toned”. I’m 5’ 8” ~150#. I do the following:
Mondays 5-15 minutes of arm toning and then a one mile walk/jog.
Tuesdays just walking/running (try to get 10k steps in the day)
Wednesday 10-15 minutes of leg toning and then a 0.5-1 mile walk/jog.
Thursday same as Tuesday
Friday 5-15 minutes of core toning and then a 0.5-1 mile walk/jog.

I struggle to work out in the evening and I work during the day, so mornings are when I work out and I’m already getting up at 4:30 so that’s my excuse for the short exercises. I usually do 10-15m videos (MadFit) but sometimes I just am run down and just do 5 minutes.

My question is, will this tone me up or do I need to double the times? I’m not overly worried about losing weight exactly-I’ll do that on the food end, I did that a few years ago before kids, went from 163# to 137# basically doing yoga/walking and watching caloric intake, so I think I can do that on the food end (less beer probably would help), but am I going to see any sort of muscle toning or increased strength on only 10-15m of targeted toning on a body part per week? Or do I need to be hitting a body part (e.g. arms) multiple times a week to visibly increase strength/tone?

Thank you in advance!!!!

@joneshomes Whatever motivates you to be active is the right answer starting out. It sounds like you have more than 10-15 mins if you're walking/running as well. You're already aware that fast loss happens with diet so you might consider dropping the walking/running and doing longer periods of focused strength and hypertrophy training. Figure in a way to get the kids to go on walks and runs with you. Throw them in a pull behind carriage and ride your bike or if they're old enough to ride their own bike jog beside while they ride. Really though you don't need to cardio to make strength and hypertrophy gains. I've had to drop cardio over the past year bc we had another child and we also have a toddler. Eventually I'll add it back when I can bc I do think cardio is good for well rounded fitness but for now I'm just focusing on size and strength.

I think it's worth pointing out that "toning" is generally not a real thing. It's a generic buzzword often used to sell bs fitness equipment and programs. You can build muscle via hypertrophy training and you can burn fat via caloric restriction and cardiovascular training but that's about it. Programs that promote toning often focus on low weight and high reps and circuit style training. These types of workouts can make you feel like youre doing a lot of work but chances are it's not accomplishing what you think it is. Women's fitness can be notoriously bad for this because women have this fear they'll suddenly look like Arnold is they lifting anything heavier than 10lbs. These workouts can often be pretty grueling which is also demotivating. Lifting weights burns a surprisingly low amount of calories compared to what it feels like and you can't spot reduce fat from arms or belly by doing curls or crunches.

The majority of muscle gains come from hitting all the muscle groups with compound movements the easiest way to do this is a program focused on the big 4 barbell lifts. These lifts are where you'll make 90% of your strength and size gains and in the long run the additional muscle you build will contribute to your TDEE and enable you to eat more and gain less fat. These workouts also aren't these grinding style heart pounding endurance exercises. You do your lift, take a little rest, then do another. The lifts are hard but you build up intensity over time and your strength levels adjust. Anything over 20reps is not doing much muscle building. Imo you should have a fair amount of work in the 5-8 rep range for strength and progress and an equal amount of work in the 10-15 rep range for volume. You can format bodyweight style training this way. I think I have a copypasta I can link if you're interested but imo the most reliable way to increase size and strength consider getting a squat rack and focusing on your main barbell lifts. With a squat rack you don't need a spotter and you can safely do all of the big lifts alone.

I like the idea of adding more time to weight training and doing the cardio with the kids, thank you. I also really like the specific information about “toning” and how that all works- you’re completely right, I associate weight lifting with looking manly which is not my goal so I appreciate the clarification. I’d love to see the copypasta although I’m not sure what that is, but anything with pasta sounds great to me! Lol. But seriously thank you so much for taking the time to respond and I’m going to re-read that last paragraph a few times and try to make a plan to incorporate that. Thank you again so much!

@joneshomes A copypasta is just old internet speak that is probably comes from a typo of copy-paste it later evolved to creepy-pasta if you're family with that writing.

I'd love to lift weights and just end up like Arnold but it's not that easy for men or women. It's important to realize that it takes a lot of dietary discipline to have the ripped as look most people want and if you don't have the genetics for it it can be intrusive to your life style. If you allow yourself a more realistic physique you can still look quite fit while having a reasonable diet. 5lbs of fat and low muscle mass is going to be much more noticeable and look much worse than 5lbs of fat with 10lbs of extra muscle in your frame. This is the route I've gone as a busy Dad. When I was regularly boxing and going for a lean ripped look it was a lot of work and I was always fighting my diet with cardio. Now that I have kids I've focused on muscle building and I'm much happier with how I look and I don't have to be as strict with my diet.

@harko Thank you so much! That’s a good point about the extra effort. I don’t know why I gave that mindset about lifting weights, but I’m going to read the CopyPasta (and thank you for the explanation, I enjoy the “telephone” evolution of the phrase) and hopefully begin to slowly incorporate some of those ideas until I get used to it/understand it better and slowly transition to that type of plan. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help me better understand. I hope I don’t let you down! Have a great week!

@joneshomes Calisthenics

The basic way to build a workout is to focus on compound movements and make those movements your “primary or main" movements and then use accessory or secondary lifts to address imbalances, deficiencies, and compliment your main movements. You want 10–20 sets per week for each muscle group which typically works out to hitting each muscle group 2x a week. The lifting schedule you choose is called a split. The most common splits are 1) fully body 3x a week 2)upper-lower split 4x a week 3) PPL (push, pull, legs) 6x a week 4) bro split or Arnold Split 6x a week.

You want to select compound exercises in the primary planes of movement for pushing and pulling movements. So you've got horizontal push (examples; bench press, pushups, chest press machines) horizontal pull (examples; barbell row, bodyweight row, machine rows). Vertical push (overhead press, dips, shoulder press machine). Vertical pull (pull ups, lat pull down machine). Legs (barbell squat, leg press, lunges) and hamstrings (straight leg deadlift, bodyweight/Nordic curl, GHR machine).

For calisthenics your main movements are; Pushups, inverted rows, dips, pullups, squats, lunges. For each workout your want to do 4–6 sets of each exercise. After a light warmup do your first 2–3 sets of a difficult variation of the exercise in the 5–8 rep range. For pushups and rows that might be raised feet, for pullups and dips you might add weight like chains, a weight vest, or a simple belt and loading pin setup with regular weights. Squats and lunges are a bit more difficult to load but you can do unilateral exercises.

After your 2–3 “heavy" sets do 2–3 volume sets in the 10–15 rep range. For the volume work you can make the exercise easier to hit the desired reps. For pushups and rows you raise the upper body higher than the feet. For pullups and dips add bands. Squats and lunges should be easy enough but you can hold onto something and pull yourself up if you can't do 15 of them.
The thing with calisthenics is that they are easy to get started with but the progression is exponentially difficult. To change your appearance you need to constantly push progression. People think “I'll just do 100 pushups a day and get jacked" but that's not how it works. Especially with high rep workouts. High reps won't do much to change your appearance. They will improve athleticism and burn some calories but if you can do 40 pushups without stopping vs 100 you won't necessarily look any different. If your body fat percentage is too high you'll also fail to progress. The key to any workout is change and progression. With calisthenics you need to do your research and learn different progressions of each movement so you're pushing that progress. There's a ton available on YouTube.

Here's a basic template;

Monday upper body #1 ; Pushup and bw row are your primary and pull-up and dip are your secondary.

1) 10-15 min warmup, jumping jacks, jump rope whatever gets you ready to do pushups, it shoudn't be hard.
2) Hard pushups: 2-3 sets no more than 8 reps. If you can do 3 sets of 8 then you need to make the variation harder. Start with 2 sets of 5 reps.
3) Easy pushups: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps. If you can do 3 sets of 20 reps make the variation harder next time you do pushups.
4) Hard bodyweight rows: 2-3 sets of 8 reps. Follow the same structure as with the pushups.
5) Easy bodyweight rows: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps.
6) Pullups: 2-3 easy sets or do a "ladder progression." (That's another copypasta I'll add)
7) Dips: 2-3 easy sets or do a ladder progression.

Tuesday: lower body #1
1) Warmup
2) Hard squats: 2-3 sets 5-8 reps.
3) Easy squats: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps.
4) Hard lunges: 2-3 sets 5-8 reps.
5) Easy lunges: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps.
6) Nordic curls: easy 2-3 sets 15-20 reps.
7) Box jumps/stationary jumps: ladder progression.
8) ab circuit any 3 exercises or ab wheel 3 sets 10-15 reps.

Wednesday: rest

Thursday: upper body #2
1) warmup
2) Hard dips: 2-3 sets 5-8 reps.
3) Easy dips: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps.
4) Hard pullups: 2-3 sets 5-8 reps.
5) Easy pullups: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps.
6) Easy Pushups: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps or ladder progression
7) Easy rows: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps or ladder progression.

Friday: lower body #2
1) Warmup
2) Hard squats: 2-3 sets 5-8 reps.
3) Easy squats: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps.
4) Hard lunges: 2-3 sets 5-8 reps.
5) Easy lunges: 2-3 sets 15-20 reps.
6) Nordic curls: easy 2-3 sets 15-20 reps.
7) Box jumps/stationary jumps: ladder progression.
8) ab circuit any 3 exercises or ab wheel 3 sets 10-15 reps.

The challenge of this and any bodyweight program is finding the variations to hit the right rep ranges. If you're a beginner "girl pushups" might be your hard variation and wall pushups might be your easy variation. Or maybe regular push-ups your hard and girl Pushups your easy. To make pushups easier raise your hands higher so wall pushups would be the easiest variation. To make them harder raise your feet so hands stand pushups would be the hardest variation. You also have options like diamond pushups, tight elbows in, wide hands, one arm etc. Bodyweight rows work the same way; raise the hand grip to make them easier and raise the feet to make them harder. For squats and lunges your have single leg versions like Bulgarian split squats, you can do wide stance squats or long step lunges, and of course weighted and single leg versions. Do your research!

I also typically do back to back sets for the upper body workout. So I'll do my hard pushup variation and then my hard row variation. Then easy pushups paired with easy rows. I'm pair my pullups and dips too.

If you have Zero equipment you can still start without the pull-ups and dips. You'll have to get creative with the rows but you can use a sturdy table or anything around the house you can hang from. A cheap doorway pull-up bar can go a long way. They have versions with dip attachments as well. They also have relatively cheap pull-up and dip stations you can fit in the corner of most rooms. If you don't want to mark up your door frame tape the contact points with gorilla tape. You can also get a cheap pair of gymnastic rings and straps to hang from a door pull-up attachment, just be careful. The rings are a bonus bc you can use them for hard variation pushups too.

This is getting long but lastly you can turn this into a 3x a week program by hitting the full body every day. If time is a concern you can just do two upper body exercises hard and easy sets and the to lower body hard and easy sets. Alternate your upper body exercises with each workout.

@harko This is fabulous (and slightly overwhelming but I’m going to read it several times). I love having it explained and broken down for me. It makes sense, too, which is helpful 😂 thank you again Turla!

@joneshomes Oh wow that's awesome to hear! I really do appreciate it. Good luck with everything. If you're ever able to get a squat rack and a bench you can do this workout and just swap out the exercises for barbell lifts which is what I do. I just realized I forgot my copypasta on ladder progression which can be a good way to switch things up a bit or break through stalled progress.

Ladder progression;

A good way to make progress with body weight exercises is to do them as "ladders." So for pushups you can do a ladder working up to one set of 10 then back down to 1. It goes like this; do one pushup, rest knees for a few seconds, do two pushups and rest, 3 pushups rest, up until you reach a set of 10. That's 55 pushups total. Once you can do that work your way back down in reverse order until you get a final single set of 1. That's 100 pushups total. If you can't reach 10 then ladder up to the highest number you can get and ladder back down. You can lengthen or shorten the rest periods but you don't want to drag it out too long. You can do this with any exercise and it's a good way to increase overall volume which will eventually get the amount you can do per set up. We used to do these in boxing a lot, of course you can go higher with the ladders as well too. Also if you're doing pushups don't forget to do inverted rows to balance out your pulling muscles in the back, triceps, and shoulders.

@harko Just finished my 50th strength training workout! Thanks again for the motivation to not be afraid to look like Arnold. Turns out I don’t, but I’m “toned” 😂- who knew?! Oh wait, you did. Lol anyway thanks again, over and out!

@harko Not all the time, but you mentioned you’re a dad, so I would imagine it’s ‘most of the time’, but same here if that gives you any comfort. 😆

@harko Hi again “snapping turtle”, as I refer to you in my brain. I just wanted to update you that I feel like the last 12 days (wow only 12 days???) have been a huge learning curve but that I am so appreciative of your input and I have started lifting and learning so so so much. I’m very happy and actually get excited when I think about my upcoming workout the next day. Which… if you knew me, is kinda crazy! Anyway, just wanted to update you and thank you for taking the time to reply!! Have a great weekend!

Back