Workout Routine Help

jhanice

Hello. As the title states I’m hoping to get some help/clarity on my workout routine. I use to be in pretty decent shape, was seeing a personal trainer that helped me achieve that but besides how to do exercises and maintain good form, I didn’t take much away from writing and executing a workout program.

My goal is to lose weight and get back into shape to help me gain better physical and mental health.

Right now I have two solid days I can dedicate to strength training, until March, when my schedule will allow for 3-4 days. I’ve been doing research for two day splits and I am getting overwhelmed (by my own doing) and I was hoping someone could help or slap me back into reality! I have two questions:
  1. What is the best approach to a two day split? I have seen either: a) push/quad; pull/hamstring, b) upper body; lower body or c) 1-2 quad/hamstring/push/pull/core exercise each day.
  2. Do I superset everything or do I just complete each exercise and the sets in its entirety before moving on?
Note: I do workout in a gym during busier hours if that matters.

I feel bad asking such novice questions but I’m hoping someone can help me feel more confident and comfortable in moving forward with working out and educating me until I can get into a better schedule.

Thanks!

@jhanice Day 1, go heavy on the squat and row:
  • squat
  • ohp
  • hamstring curl
  • bent row
  • tricep press
  • abs
Day 2, go heavy on the deadlift and bench:
  • deadlift or good morning
  • upright row or laterals
  • leg extensions
  • bench
  • curls
  • abs

@mikeb34 I just want to say thanks for the layout and routine, been doing this for the last two weeks and they are really great workouts. Once I am able to get into the gym 3-4 days a week I will focus on push/pull/legs. Much appreciated!

@jhanice My opinion, if time is your limiting factor, you need to focus on the lifts that will give you the most bang for your buck. The big compound lifts: bench, OHP, pull ups, rows, and deadlift and squat or trapbar deadlift which I feel is a good substitute for those last two. Split those up over your two days or do them all twice a week

@shirl Thank you! I appreciate the advice! I figured I was overthinking it. Just to mention, both days I have around 1.5-2 hours I can dedicate to the gym after work, not sure if that changes it but I forgot to mention it. If not, thank you again!

I am so sorry! I know I asked this a few days ago but life has gotten the best of me. Thank you so much everyone! You all have been beyond helpful!