“Skinny fat” 23 y/o looking for resources and at-home workouts

verdantz97

New to Reddit but I (23M) have recently started getting more into working out but I’m at the point that I need some help identifying resources and legitimate workouts cutting through the considerable amount of internet “noise” from every gym bro and his mother.

I think it’s fair of me to say I’ve always been an average-sized male, neither too fat nor sickly skinny. That being said, I’ve also never been particularly athletic with the bulk of my exercise coming from running.

However, I’m at the point now that I want to gain some muscle and feel a little more comfortable in my body.

I especially need some help with core and chest workout outs because I want abs but I thinks it’s where I need the most help as I have a very small beer gut which I’ve often seen described as being “skinny fat” on TikTok and YouTube. That being said, I have been doing a lot of full body and arm workouts because it’s hard for me to focus just core without much of a base to start.

More recently, however, I got some low weight dumbbells and have been trying to do more full-body and calisthenic-like excises. I have particularly liked a British fitness YouTuber named Alex Crawford because I find his workouts are do-able (i.e., with little base muscle) and easily modifiable if I need to adjust my weight or would prefer another exercise.

Crawford’s videos are also pretty efficient or fast-paced which is easier for me to fit into my day. Many of his of his videos also use one dumbbell which allows for constant rotation between sides for arms or legs with minimal rest but it is also helpful because I only have one 15lb dumbbell which has been my main one besides 8lb dumbbells which I only really use for certain overhead excises or if I get burnt out. Many of his workouts will only use body weight, however.

With all of that being said, I was hoping some of you might be able to point me in the right direction for some more workouts or resources. For some additional background:
  • I have a gym in my apartment building but it’s pretty limited to cardio stuff and dumbbells with only one unfamiliar machine but no press, which I assume is a liability concern. I generally prefer to workout from my apartment though because it’s more private and the building gym can get busy sometimes.
  • I am open to getting a gym membership but I’d prefer to have more of a base before I consider that. It sounds silly but I’m self conscious and have a bit of social anxiety about gyms. I also don’t have too many friends who I could go with me to spot or whatnot so once I get to that point I’d feel more comfortable on machines and low-risk lifting.
  • Coming from a science background I don’t think I need as much help with diet or stretching, but I will say I’ve been vegetarian for a few years now so I have become more conscientious about my protein intake especially.
  • Last year I also got more into the rowing machine when it got colder in place of running, but I will likely only substitute this for my normal cardio.

@verdantz97 Madbarz is a fantastic app. Primarily aimed towards callisthenics so ideal for at home workouts. There are set workouts in the app and you can make, and save, your own too.