1 x or 2 x adjustable kettlebells?

yeshuasown

For those of you that have adjustable kettlebells, do you find that 1 is sufficient?

Looks like one single 12-20.5 kg from bells of steel is $200. 12-32 kg $300. Getting a pair of adjustable kettlebells is getting really pricey. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance

@yeshuasown I bought a pair, it’s been useful. Depends what other KBs you have. I had a 20 already and use that with my doubles, and have the other adjustable set heavier for swings

@yeshuasown Get 2 adjustable 32kg bells. Will be cheaper than buying individual bells throughout the months. For single arm workouts, can have one set to a higher weight and one at a light weight.

Wish they had adjustables higher than 32 as I already maxed it out on presses on the first day (already had previous lifting experience).

@yeshuasown I don’t do adjustable kettlebells, but I wouldn’t go with the small ones. 32’s are really useful and 24’s are the default. I think limiting yourself to 20’s would be a mistake unless you intend to buy more.

@premier3092 I agree… I’ve spent money on Free Weights and Kettlebells over the last twenty years and I still have all the stuff. Spending $600 for two of the heavier adjustable bells, spread out over even just a ten year timeline is a good value… but I wouldn’t see why you would ever get rid of the set, so you’ll have them forever - for $600.

@yeshuasown I have two. Having doubles is great. But if you're just starting with KBs, get one first. You'll probably want to learn the movements with one hand first.

I bought a 32 kg from BoS when they were on sale (but not clearing out) before they went to v2.

Then I bought the 20.5 kg later.

I have some dumbbell plates, so I can load up with those. I think I can get up to about 28 kg. More than that and I don't think it will fit with the bottom shell (because the dumbbell plates aren't shaped "correctly").

I'm currently only using one because I'm doing a single snatch program (King Size Killer, Neupert).

If you're worried about cost, you might want to check out the Titan one. 32 kg. Larger weight increments, but $160 (I think). You can get dumbbell plates if you want smaller increments.

@yeshuasown 1) obviously, it depends on your strength/goals/finances.
2) some helpful context: BOS 32kg adjustable gets shipped to you as the 20kg + the expansion pack. (I have a pair, and really like them)
So what you could do is buy 1 or a pair of the 20kg adjustable and buy an expansion pack or 2 later as you get stronger.

@yeshuasown I have one. The bells of steel adjustable with the extension kit. And for right now, it's enough for me. However, i know that eventually, i will want a second one. If you can get a deal on a pair, it's recommended you get both.

@yeshuasown Get two! I have had these KBs for about a year and love them. Probably one of the best investments I’ve ever made. They ran me a little over $500 but I’ll never have to buy another KB forever, nor will I need a gym membership. You can run so many programs either using one or both or if you want to train with a partner, you have 2. Get a pair.

@yeshuasown I finally invested in my second 32KG adjustable KB from KB Kings (bought both on sale) a year ago. With I had done it sooner as it would have saved me money from buying several fixed weight bells. I’m know that buying two is really expensive but the purchase unlocks almost every KB workout you will want to do from now until The End unless you are one of the Zeus dudes on this form. Even if it is a stretch, I strongly think it is worth it. I do agree with early posts that buying an adjustable bell that only goes up to 20KG isn’t enough. With regular work, you will be pressing 20KG relatively soon. The value proposition really comes from being able to micro-load the bells at heavier weights. I seem to recall that you can buy add-on plates to get up to 32KGs with the BoS bells (check me on that because I’m not certain). If so, buy 2 adjustable bells that go up to 20KG now and then buy the add-ons when you need it.

Back