2023 Age-Group Semifinals Tests Released

@joey13 I disagree, I think lots of thought went into them, but still boring tests. I am of the few that believes in good tests don't have to be exciting, but to play devil's advocate, they all cant be boring lol

@the5thhorseman I don’t think they should be exciting either. Just not sure how a lot of thought went into basically scrambling movements that have already been done over and over already into different workouts.

@joey13 Online competition is going to reap repetitiveness due to judging struggles with the repeated movements, let alone new movements. In person is usually the only place for new movements imo.

@012546 In isolation these are great events. In the context of the age group season, like most people, I feel there is far too much emphasis on shuttle runs. I'd like to hear Boz comment on why he's focusing so much on that movement for the age group athletes, because I can't figure out what the rationale could be for testing them three times, especially when in each of those three tests you're moving at the same basic pace.

It's true that in the quarterfinals you had to push the final set of fifty to do well, but even then, you were kind of stuck on your standard pace and not really "sprinting" until the final 10-12 reps. 23.2A was a good test of your capacity to hold a particular pace on shuttles. In quarterfinals you had to face the mental challenge of holding on for a large set of shuttles. What would be the reason for testing them yet again when we have the top 30 in each age category?

It's interesting that we saw tall box jumps in the age group quarterfinals, and now "short" burpee box jump overs for both men and women. I wonder why the burpee box jump overs are not the standard 24/20? To encourage people to clear the box on the final set of 20?

It's also interesting that there has only been 40 reps of wall balls, 30 reps of chest-to-bars, and no handstand walking for the age groupers this year. I was definitely expecting a huge set of wall balls for semifinals.

While the thruster/muscle-up piece looks like you need to game it on paper, I think in reality there's really only one strategy that's going to work: do either 1-2 sets to finish the 15 muscle-ups as fast as possible at the top of the workout, and then do thrusters in the remaining time. Maybe another strategy could work, but I think the best scores will use that strategy.

@012546 Not a fan of "choose your own rep scheme" workouts for competitions like that thruster/muscle up workout. It adds a massive variable of strategy that doesn't relate to finding the fittest.

@012546 Where is the rest of the info on these workouts? There is nothing on the games website or in the app. Instagram can't be the only place they released any info?

Back