New Years 2023 Announcement: BWF Primer Follow-along Event + BWSF Routine Soft-Launch!

@danielsatish There's the routine as an exercise plan and the routine as a page on this subreddit. Most of my problems have been with the latter (and I'm not surprised that all the links to the website are still there).

Fitness wise, just note that the RR and BWSF are very similar, so you can't really go wrong with either. You'll learn as you work out and you'll end up tweaking the routine to your goals and preferences anyway, so it's no use overanalyzing now, just pick one and you'll figure it out as you go along. The most important thing is to do it consistently, be mindful about it and come to the daily thread with your questions. ;)

@fromgenesistorevelation Hey Antranik,

Thanks for taking a look at the new routine.

-There is a table like yours already in the wiki. (https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/routines/bwsf/)

-I suppose collectively we have a differing opinion on bird dogs, thats fine, but I would encourage you to try adding weight to them as the routine suggests. ( )

-The deadbug progressions take you through exactly what you are requesting: a dynamic deadbug to hollow hold.-Posterior chain progression: if the process of making your table didn't answer this for you I'm not sure I can, I think you know this answer!

-I think you're misreading the pullup chart. It goes from 3 to 4, abc are all options to choose from. If you chose 4b you can also progress to either 4a or 4c. We can look into making that more clear.

- For rows rings *are* an option, these progressions aren't tied to any one equipment and work on bars or rings

@dawn16

Cool. Btw, nobody can see the wiki except for mods.

The deadbug progressions take you through exactly what you are requesting: a dynamic deadbug to hollow hold.

Neat, I guess that's the dead-bug layouts? I sorta missed that.

Posterior chain progression: if the process of making your table didn't answer this for you I'm not sure I can, I think you know this answer!

Hmm, looking at it over one more time. I would assume you just pick one thing, but again, that's the messiest flow chart.

I think you're misreading the pullup chart. It goes from 3 to 4, abc are all options to choose from. If you chose 4b you can also progress to either 4a or 4c. We can look into making that more clear.

Neat.

For rows rings are an option

Neat.

@mike420 I have always felt that they sap ones ability to stay focused on a single exercise and the process of:
  1. film set
  2. watch video of set during rest, identifying form cues to adjust in next set
  3. perform next set, implementing those cues in mind
is invaluable to anyone, as no one's technique is ever consistently perfect in the long term, especially with progressive overload. Paired sets do not facilitate that process.

Beyond that, you are never challenging your body's ability to perform under fatigue which is a valuable skill to have as a trainee, as you are always giving 3-5 minutes of rest for every single exercise, which also means you have zero buffer when it comes to session modification on bad days, you are eliciting less metabolic stress (which, even though that is the relatively smallest component of hypertrophy, it is still relevant), AND it makes sessions MUCH longer for proportionally smaller benefit when you may only need 3-5 minute rest for your highest intensity exercises, not ALL of them.

That last point is also assuming paired sets actually gives you 3-5 minutes of true rest, which it does not if you are performing compounds. Your core muscles, for example, will likely be used in both exercises, so its less of a hack to get extra rest than it actually seems.

If you prefer paired sets, you vibe with them mentally, you're used to training that way, or you just want to, however, then by all means do them.

EDIT: crossed out text not really a watertight critique of paired sets as pointed out. Paragraph about paired sets has been added to routine in the session modification section for those that like to do them or need to save time.

@dontdosadness Thanks for the answer, I think so many exercises with straight sets would be a long routine but I liked the organization, the rep progression part is very good, I would only add a session on deload, especially on the plateu part

The frequency templates and spreadsheet are very good too, I think a good suggestion for people that don`t have a good recovery or not so much time is to do 2 sets 3x/week or 3 sets 2x/week, I made good progress like this.

Congrats on the work!

@dontdosadness Is it the "standard recommendation" or is it what you feel? Previous authors clearly felt differently, and for a good reason. The full body beginner workout can get very long and that's a huge obstacle to performing it consistently. Supersets save time without sacrificing anything and your reasoning for the contrary is very lacking.

Pairing always saves time, despite what you claim (or seem to claim, that comment about sessions getting longer was very odd). You can cut your breaks by a little less than half if you interweave the exercises and it works no matter how long you want your breaks to be. It's just a principle on how to plan your sets. You can adjust the length of the breaks for endurance and hypertrophy if you please, so you cannot claim that you can't work for either of these goals with pairing. Of course you can.

Proper agonist-antagonist pairing allows for proper rest, the core is not the body part that needs to be rested, because it's not the limiting factor, so that argument is very unconvincing. You won't underperform on your pushups, because you shot your core on rows.

Whether or not supersets are detrimental to concentration and mindful form checking is more subjective. I grant that you have less time to film yourself if you cut your breaks in half. I'll take that downside though.

Like I said, you are burying good advice that's very useful to beginners. It wouldn't bug me so much if you could justify this change with something more substantial than your personal preference.