25 y/o M, 5 '4" - Less than 40kgs since highschool. Any tips para maging okay ang build?

isaiah4031

Hi r/PHitness!

Recently joined this subreddit. Sobrang frustrating lang and need to ask for advice. As stated sa title, underweight na ako since highschool. I guess hindi ko pa nararanasan maging normal ang weight/BMI. And if you saw me personally, para talaga akong bata tignan. Sa health naman, since working na ako and we have Annual Physical Exam, wala namang nakikitang ibang sakit sa akin, maliban lang talaga sa weight ko which is considered underweight.

Cinoconsider ko mag-gym but iniisip ko kung need ba magpataba muna? I am working from home currently and wala talaga rin akong exercise sa katawan. We have a stationary bike sa bahay, can I use that a start?

Nakakawala na talaga ng pagasa honestly. Parang iniisip ko imposible na talaga ako maging normal weight since hanggang ngayon, hindi pa rin ako umaabot ng 40kg.

Any advice is helpful to me - diet, anong doctor ang need ko kausapin, exercise/gym tips, etc.

@isaiah4031 - "Cinoconsider ko mag-gym but iniisip ko kung need ba magpataba muna?"

If you do this, you will end up being skinny fat. Your scale weight will look like it improved but in reality you end up a bit worse.

Proper weight gaining is composed of increasing your calorie intake while doing resistance training more popularly known as lifting. So magbuhat ka sa gym at kumain ka ng mas marami. Tataas apettite/satiety level if you start lifting since maghahanap ng mas maraming energy yung katawan mo to compensate and adjust for the new physical activities. Adding good mass to your body will take time, estimate ko is at least 2 years. Starting doing the work, constantly research what to do. Nasa internet lahat.

@isaiah4031 hey man, my late close friend was at the same arena as you, the only difference is that he was 5"11. I understand the frustration, let me share my years of exp.
  1. Quality food - Try your best to eat clean (whole foods) these are the type of food that were alive at some point. Iwas a processed food. I know some people would say, calories in vs calories out lang naman yan, which is true but the quality of food affects a lot of things. (Your mood, inflammation, performance and overall longevity) So to sum that up, eat clean.
  2. Right Quantity - Based on your BMR you should be eating 1,500 calories every day. Since you are trying to regulate your BMI, add 200-300 to this. Bale 1,700 calories per day. I'll give it to you straight, this will be tedious pero worth it, if you have the time, you need to weigh your food. All food has an equivalent # of calories, considering that you would follow my first point (quality food), then this won't be that much of an issue for you.
  3. Proper training - Medyo broad ang topic but based on your kwento. The most important talaga is to have a coach/mentor. Sure pwede kang mag yt yt, and it works for some, but let me tell you this, mahirap pag nagkamali because you might get injured. Di kita tinatakot, this simply means, if mag gygym ka, ask a friend to come with you and show you the ropes. You need to start with baseline, build your foundation. Go for a 5x5 training program. 5x5 is 5 repetitions of 5 sets for each of these movements. (Squats, benchpress, deadlift, overheadpress) I guarantee you 100%, do #1 and #2, together with #3? In 3 months, you'll see a big difference.
  4. Proper rest - Don't forget to let your body rest atleast twice a week. This doesn't mean na you would be bumming around. Kahit tamang lakad lang for like half an hour or an hour should be good. This helps with recovery kasi by promoting blood flow hence, recovery.
That's pretty much it. Hopefully di ka na info overload but i gave it to you straight. If you have any questions, let me know.

A couple of notes, stationary bike is ok, but i suggest walking or jogging as opposed to this. Why? Vitamin D. Breath of fresh air.

Try to take progress pictures in front of the mirror atleast once a week.

The secret is consistency. Your goal everyday is to eat quality food with the right quantity. Go to the gym and train atleast 3-5 days a week depending on your recovery with rest in between.

@kdaniel7 Based on your reply, safe naman pagsabayin ang gym/training with the calorie surplus (#1/#2). Kala ko kasi need muna magpataba bago maggym. Thank you so much for these!!

@isaiah4031 Yes it's safe. You can definitely do one before the other pero in my experience, as well as others, and as backed by science in the form of body recomposition, yes, it's far more efficient na pagsabayin.

@isaiah4031 OP, try body weight training muna if your new to body building. Like push ups, pull ups bw squats. Master the basic ika. Then you can move to free weights. If you got a gym nearby, you can prob ask for some coaching, eat healthy foods, cut the junk foods1 and add some fruits and veggs to it. For suppliments, if you want to gain weight, try mass gainer, or for muscle synthesis, try whey protein.