Can doing less *really* lead to more results?

@0st If you're on a plateau you can deload (or rest) for 1-2 weeks. Everyone's different, test it out for yourself. PS: I achieved fat loss (without too much muscle loss) entirely through diet and home workouts (I primarily lift in a powerlifting style, taking 3 months off was great for the aesthetics I want to build)

@niki34 You took 3 months off to focus on losing fat, jumped back in, and didn’t lose significant muscle?

THIS is what I need to hear

@0st Yes, I focused on really keeping a clean diet (I roughly tracked for the first week but kind of kept a "formula" of meals that worked for me, still went out with friends and enjoyed food, I don't really drink). My main movement was walking (did home workouts too). I lost about 9lb of pure fat, strength was still solid (I'm 5'2" so 9lb looks significant on me)

@niki34 I commented above but want to piggyback on your response as I barely did any cardio in my postpartum weight loss journey either (because I effing hate it lol). Weight loss can definitely be done without a ton of it!

@lvsjesus Yup same! I lost 90% of my baby weight through breastfeeding and diet and walking (progressive overload with carrying a growing baby on me while I walked lol). Didn't do any traditional cardio

@0st Have you tried doing shorter workouts? I used to do two or three 90 minutes a week (running + lift combo) but those would wear me out too much to do anything the next few days. I also experienced a couple of injuries. Now I do 20-30 minutes, 3, 4, or 5 days a week (depending on how much free time I have and not including cool down which is usually 5-10 minutes). I feel like it’s enough to keep me moving and toning but not so much I’m useless the next day. I also do a different body group each time so I’m usually giving my body a few days of rest in between.

@lionf I’m hitting this point. My workouts aren’t quality anymore because I’m so burnt from the ones before! Trying to take a more balanced and sustainable approach from here on out

@0st An extremely underrated component to gaining muscle is rest.

We don't grow muscle in the gym. We grow it outside of the gym - during rest and recovery.

If you're constantly putting your body through stress, you're not allowing it the time to repair and build itself back up to be stronger. And you're also likely to be showing up to the gym with some fatigue - meaning you're not working out at your full potential.

I don't know about you, but I tend to hit PRs after taking longer than usual breaks from the gym.

There are some interesting studies that have shown increased results with scaling back the frequency of exercise, but increasing the intensity of your sessions (focusing on less reps and practicing progressive overload and repping to failure).

When you think you're done with a set, take a pause and more often than not, you can squeeze out at least another rep. You want to push just past that barrier. That stress and subsequent rest and recovery are what leads to results.

Will Tennyson has a video where he experiments this theory. For him, it worked.

@0st Due to life circumstances I moved from 4-6x/week, 1-1.5 hour sessions of strength and cardio to 1 upper/1 lower strength 60min and 1-2x 30min cardio sessions per week and I have had significantly better results. Minimal diet changes, worse sleep/recovery practices, I’m older now, etc. My programming is better, my lifts are better, my aesthetic is better. I always think it’s worth trying something new if you’re dissatisfied with your current regimen or results.

Edit to add: you mentioned you’re 7 months postpartum - you’re still going through hormone changes that can affect your training, especially if you’re breastfeeding. Please give yourself grace, you created a life and gave birth over 9 months, your body needs A LOT of time to recover and adapt to the permanent changes that come with bearing and nurturing new life.

@georgethinks I’m definitely struggling with this, especially comparing where I am no to where I was after my 2nd pregnancy. I know poor sleep is part of it, and insulin issues, but it’s so frustrating to see the weight fall off the first 2 times and then just stick to me this time. It almost makes me regret putting my body through it again :(

@0st I’ve put on far more muscle by lifting very intensely twice a week for two hours each session (to failure most sets) versus 4-5 times a week for 1 hour with less intensity. Like…the difference is absurd.