3-day split full body program

malina22

Found a good 3 day per week full body (it was suggested to be the best for me) program, and tweaked it a bit. Would love to hear your opinion on this! Anything i should change? (e.g. sets, reps, certain exercises...)

Tuesday:
https://hevy.com/routine/OT1SR4IylgF

Thursday:
https://hevy.com/routine/TUruBUMWIat

Friday:
https://hevy.com/routine/u5v7WLxE74D

Im 15, 190cm (6'3), 65kg (145 lbs)
I play football (soccer) as a hobby, so not that seriously. Looking to build muscle as well as a bit of strength

Any feedback appreciated :)

@malina22 Start with 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Doing a range can help prevent injuries but also give you an opportunity to challenge yourself. When reps get easy just increase the weights not the reps or sets. When you are done with your circuit you can do a bonus round of your favorite exercise.

@mark_m Almost every single beginner barbell program utilizes five reps, either as 3x5 or 5x5, since this gives the trainee a good mix between hypertrophy- and strength training. They also allow the trainee to push heavier weight, without the fatigue associated with sets of 8-12. I would argue that the probability of injury is lower with sets of five, since the likelihood of tecnique breakdown is lower.

@zach17 I guess for very beginners this is another way to start. It can be simpler to count. It doesn't really matter as long as the muscles are challenged and the trainee likes the schedule. I personally get bored after the 3rd set lol unless I'm also counting the warm up and cool down sets. I will say tho that fatigue is part of what grows muscles and gets more muscle fibers engaged. Whether the reps are 5 or 8-12, the weights should be heavy enough to make the last pump of each set is a bit of a challenge. Pro tip: its the eccentric contraction that grows actually the most muscle hypertrophy and strength.

Another method is pyramid stacking sets by increasing the weights for each set and then off loading. For barbell squats for example it would look like one set with just body weight, one set with the bar or light weights, one set at max weight (still keeping good form!), then offload back down to just the bar and finish with a set of bodyweight squats again. Instead of reps I would just go to failure each set which will likely by different amounts. Body weight sets may get 20-30 reps until fatigue failure, and Max weight sets may be 3-8 reps before failure.

Honestly sometimes its just fun to play around with different set/rep structures to keep it interesting and fun haha!

@mark_m Thank you for that long reply.

It does matter to some degree.
- It is easier and to progressively overload sets of five.
- You can handle heavier weight, faster.
- You most likely have less breakdown of tecnique.
- You have a solid mix of hypotrophy and strength.
- It is widely used in most beginner programs written by professionals.

I am not saying different rep-ranges does not have its place in training (I have done LP 20 rep breathing squats routines), but I do disagree that a beginner should do sets of 8-12 and double progression. A beginner should follow a proper beginner program, focused on heavy barbell compounds for sets of five, for a 2-6 months. By the end, his training numbers and proficiency on the barbell lifts will be much greater. THEN he can move on to a proven strength program utilizing different rep-, set- and progression schemes.

It is fun to play around, but I believe a beginner should experiment as little as possible. He need experience to understand what changing training variables will do to his training and fatigue.

@zach17 Sure you can believe what you like. I was just saying what I had learned from weight training classes and my personal trainer certification.

@mark_m These are not my beliefs, they are the writings of professional coaches and trainers and in line with what advanced lifters recommend as well. I am just a strength trainee, following and recommending proven methods to beginners. Not sure what you being a PT has to do with this, but I am happy for you.

It seems this discussion has come to it's natural conclusion to be fair. It was interesting having this discussion with you.

@malina22 This is my recommendation:

1) I would recommend you follow The Basic Beginner Program instead of your own. It will have you perform barbell compounds more often, and will probably increase your strength nad proficiency faster. It's a proven program, written by a professional. It also gives you the opportunity to add assistance work of your own choosing.

2) If you decide not to follow my recommendation, nad stick to your own program, I think you could easily be more aggressive with your planed increases. I would add a second squat day (Friday for instance), and increase DL and SQ with 2.5 kg every session, and add 1.25 kg to pressing and barbell rows every session. If you start out a bit light, and eat enough you can keep this progression scheme for quite a while.

When you no longer can progress linearly, switch to a proven intermediate program .

Hope this helped!

@zach17 thanks! btw its not my own, it has been done by a professional, i just changed one or two exercises thats work the same muscles. and yes i was also thinking i should train legs more so squat on friday would be good

@zach17 so, i ended up listening to you and another guy in the comments. created this workout:
https://thefitness.wiki/routines/r-fitness-basic-beginner-routine/

Tuesday: A workout #1 + bicep curls

Thursday: B workout #1 + tricep rope pushdown (and 1h 30min football (soccer) training in evening)

Friday: A workout #2 + hammer curls

Sunday: B workout #2 + skullcrushers (and 1h 30min football (soccer) training in evening)

I would think that this is a solid workout, what do you think? Sorry for messaging u repeatedly :)

@malina22 I’d add more rest time to the compound lifts, once you are just remotely Strong 3-5 mins of rest will be required for optimal performance. Cut Down on the accessory work if time is a concern.
Quality>quantity

Also the deadlift volume is too much, 1-3 hard sets per week should be enough, I’d also be wary of more than 8 reps on the deadlift.
The deadlift adds a ton of fatigue and due to the heavy loads, you want to avoid form breakdown.

Back