34M - multiple injuries and getting back on the wagon - 5/3/1 or 8/6/3?

markusdrury

I've been training on and off for the last 7-8 years but never really consistently. In the autumn after about six months of actual consistent training I managed to get a 75kg OHP, 100kg Bench, 120kg squat and 145kg deadlift - my strongest ever. During a 1's' week I hurt my shoulder (seeing a physio) and then pulled my back which wiped me out.

I really enjoyed 5/3/1 + triumvirate - it's just about the right length and frequency that I can do it after I get up in the morning and still have time for a shower and to get to work on time. (I have a home gym). Now I'm getting back into the game, I don't want to risk injuring myself AGAIN - so my thoughts were to switch to 8/6/3 to reduce the %max I'm lifting on a given day (and thus, reducing the chance of bad form at maximal weight) but still get what benefits I can.

Any thoughts?

@markusdrury I (49m) switched off 531 when I started training jujitsu. Pushing for PR‘s was too much and exacerbated minor strains and injuries. I’m now on a higher rep, lower weight program. Goal is to build more muscle around my joints and tbh, aesthetics.

TL/DR - higher reps lower weight has worked. Able to train and increase strength while not making injuries worse and delaying recovery

@snippy Depends if you’ve wrestled or grappled before, but pretty steep. Which is also what makes it gratifying. Whatever ego you have will be destroyed on the regular.

On average I train twice a week but also strength train, do yoga and whenever possible, hit an open mat too.

@snippy Not /@warriorinchrist25 but I went for an intro session at a gym nearby and it was amazing just for that hour. I couldn't justify the cost or the schedule to take it further, but it was really fun.

@warriorinchrist25 Yep. Generally the safe, low-risk advice is to go lower weights and higher reps when coming back from injury. Reps of 10+ minimum. That’s what I’ve always been advised for my different injuries. And it’s also worked. Especially with age comes more risk and it’s normal to modify workouts as you get older too. If you need to manage time, then adapt the weekly routine.

@markusdrury I would probably continue with 5/3/1 but start with a very low (like embarrassingly low) weight and slowly ramp it up 5 lbs per week. It'll take awhile to get to your real limits but it'll ensure not only your muscles but your tendons/joints are ready for it. Connective tissue takes a lot longer to strengthen than muscle and that disconnect is the problem behind a lot of overuse injuries. Going to 8/6/3 wouldn't hurt, but you can get injured from that pretty easily too. It's not a safety cure all. I'd also start stretching like it's your religion, especially your shoulders and hamstrings. Being very flexible prevents way more injuries than most guys give it credit for. It saved my lower back and knees when I thought I was going to have to quit lifting altogether. Turns out my hips and hamstrings were just insanely tight.

@markusdrury 39M here, had similar #'s and similar issues with 5/3/1. I switched over to the Barbell Prescription 3x5 plus 3-4 other accessory lifts where I shoot for 8-15 reps.

I'm just not capable of being thoughtful enough to stick to an appropriate 1's weight for that final set, 3x5 keeps me honest b/c I can't hope to do a too heavy set for all those reps.

@overcomer2 I would use the 5/3/1 app which presumably has those percentages locked in from somewhere in Wendler's literature. I don't mind lowering my training max but at some point I'll be back to doing heavy 1's days. Maybe I just need to accept that risk, but I feel like I'm zig-zagging between injuries and periods where I can actually train.

@markusdrury I don't really get the logic of just switching rep ranges and thinking that will reduce injuries. Why would that be?

In 5/3/1, you are lifting more like 10/8/5 for the top sets any way if you are doing it according to how the program is written. So how is 8/6/3 really any different?

It all comes down to your autoregulation - maybe you're taking things too far. I lift with pretty heavy rep ranges, and I can't remember the last time I was injured. I don't think this is about the rep ranges.

@eyes2jesus Nope.

You are never supposed to be close to your true 1rm in the program. Wendler is very insistent that you keep your TM so that your 1+ set is something you can do for 5 quality reps.

You've clearly never read the books.

@alexandru Yes. You should use some form of auto-regulation to keep an appropriate amount of weight on the bar, the rep range doesn't really matter quite as much. You don't need to go to 10/10 effort.

@markusdrury I had something like this after a motorcycle accident and had issues with those, after I reached some weight... started to have pain or not progressing.

What worked really good for me was (and is) the greyskullLP approach.

Back