40M looking for help on next steps

o0oshadow

Hi all,

Context: I’m 40M, 180cm (6’00) and have over the last 10 years dieted down from 145kg(320lbs) to a low of 90kg (198lbs) with body fat around 20%. I did this with a combination of dieting, lifting and excessive cardio. I have in the last 3 months been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started taking my medication.

I’m currently 101kg (222lbs) and 25% body fat, and have been in a calorie deficit and weight training for the last 10 weeks. Currently eating about 2000kcal/day.

1RM:
Bench: 62.5kg (137lbs)
Squat: 130kg (286lbs)
Deadlift: 160kg (352lbs)

Success for me is to be about 90kg and 15% body fat, and hitting standard 1.5x body weight strength goals in the big compound lifts, where I’d then look to maintain. Athletically, I’d just like to look like
I lift, without the love handles.

The problem is that I’m so sick of always trying to diet down and not make consistent progress. I’m irritable, lacking energy and generally grumpy. I do think there are some metabolic issues but don’t want this to be an excuse. My lifts in the gym aren’t getting better and I’m lacking energy and motivation. I have some big strength goals that d love to hit, especially in the bench, and would love more muscle size,but am unable to shake the body fat issues I have.

Looking for some feedback on what to do next:
- reverse diet out for a while
- suck it up and keep cutting down
- start with a slight calorie surplus and focus on hypertrophy and strength

Thanks

@o0oshadow I like to put extra focus on bodyweight movements and conditioning when losing weight because you can drive both of those things up whilst the barbell movements stagnate a bit (especially bench).

Pull ups and dips all day, which also helps with the looking like you lift. Add a bunch of swings and snatches and feel like a boss.

@o0oshadow From what you've said I think a diet break would serve you well before digging back into fat loss. I try to keep my diet breaks mostly tight, same food selection just bring carbs up (fat too a little) to hit your maintenance cals. Enjoy an indulgence or two with the extra room though!

@o0oshadow If you’re receiving treatment for your condition, fatigue and mood swings are possible side effects. Perhaps your doctor has a nutritionist in their practice or can at least provide a referral to a nutritionist to help take some of that stress off of you. A tailored data-based nutrition plan from a professional may help you achieve your health goals faster than just spinning your wheels in frustration.

@o0oshadow First of all, congratulations on the weight loss. That's a huge huge victory and you should be really proud of yourself.

With what you're describing, I think a maintenance break is in order. RP fitness had some good articles out while back, I'm not sure if they are still open or not.

With that said, you seem to be trying to chase two separate goals concurrently, that's probably going to lead to limited progress. It's damn hard to gain strength while in caloric deficit. It's not impossible, but you got to be real about if you have the time and capacity to do it. If you're a dad with a job, a family, and a whole bunch of other responsibilities, that needs to be factored in. My recommendation is to choose one goal at a time and focus on that.

For me, a strong focus on mental health was also extremely important. So, if you're feeling down all the time, address that. That's probably the biggest reason why I think a maintenance break is in order here. Get your head right, and the rest will come.

You haven't mentioned what kind of programs you're running or what kind of diet you're on or even how tall you are, but you have mentioned you've had a lot of success in losing weight. If you're not already on I tried and tested program written by a professional, get on one. That will help a lot both with achieving strength gains as well as maintaining appropriate levels of recovery. Check out the fitness wiki. There's literally hundreds of great programs there, all free. T Nation is another great resource with tons of free information.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Source: dude who turned 40, lost 55 lb, then regained the strength I had my twenties. Now mid-40s.

@freethinker711 Most had been a 5x5 (whilst in a calorie deficit) and most recently a 4 day mix of strength (Mon,Tues) and hypertrophy push and pull (Thurs and Fri).

Running last year was a big focus as I trained for a half marathon…until I ended up with some hip pain and stopped…that was combined with some 5x5. I have also dabbled a bit with a turbo trainer and Zwift.