6-Month Anorexia Progress

hal16

I started doing the recommended routine about 6 months ago, and at the time couldn't do a pushup or a deadhang. For some reason my core has always been super strong though. I've had abs since I was 6. 😄 Due to a shoulder injury my progress was slower than I would've liked (couldn't dead hang until after 3 months of PT). Worked up to 3x5 Pushups, 3x1 Pullup, 3x8 Inverted Rows, 3x30s Handstand, 3x8 Pistol Squats. (Didn't do dips due to shoulder pain) Idid a Push/Pull split 6 days a week, although I'd have to take days off if my shoulder or back flared up.

I've always struggled a lot with my weight being super low, but I've managed to put on 25 pounds of mostly muscle. This is the most I've ever weighed but I honestly feel so much healthier, and not so embarrassed about my size. I'm still 'underweight' but I'll get there eventually. Started out 5'10 at 100#, now up to 125#.

I had back surgery this past Tue, so I wanted to document the progress I've made as I know I'm getting ready to lose it all. (3 months of bed rest 😴) But I'm hoping once I recover I'll be able to gain the muscle back more quickly than before. The foundation is there at least. It'll be a long road to recovery but hopefully it'll get rid of my chronic back pain that has been impeding my progress!

Pics: (I included a back pic post-surgery for anyone curious as to what that looks like 😬, got rid of that lovely S shape)

@hal16 Most impressive to me is your arms, such an amazing improvement! I know those can be especially hard to build.

Your post speaks to me because I'm in an extremely similar height/weight/injury situation and I'm now more motivated after seeing your results after just a few months! Did you have issues eating more? That's the biggest struggle for me

@jonea Yes, eating was 100% the hardest part. I found mass gainer shakes helped a lot, plus calorie dense foods,, and then I was also put on a medication that upped my appetite some so that helped, lol.

@hal16 The shakes seem really good and I finally found one I can tolerate the taste of as I gulp it lol, I'll have to commit more to those.

Thanks for posting!

@jonea What do you mean by this? It can be hard to drink Shakes but if you use the right ingredients or method it can be delicious, such as bananas, peanut butter and milk in a blender, can also combine oats, honey, etc.

well frig, now i gotta go back and look at the pictures again.

good job OP. always nice to see BWF helping people feel better.

@hal16 Awesome progress! Continue on the straight and narrow path to success. It will always be tough; don't let anyone stand in the way of achieving your goals. I don't know you personally, but I'm proud of you!

@hal16 All the progress isn't wasted, imagine if you had not gained those 25 lbs of muscle - the recovery would be much tougher and have an even bigger effect on you.

@hal16 Yowzer - scoliosis?

Hope you recover well, my niece had ops for that (it was verging on inoperable due to severity) and is doing very well now, and a friend of my son's just had surgery for it too... good luck with it.