60/M: Old People Progress

@psh2124 Thanks. I think so too. I can feel completely wiped out physically and mentally, and as soon as I do the first set of lifts it all changes, and that boost lasts until bedtime.

@buildingnotmadebyhands Thanks! I'll never stop. Fitness is fun. Hey, I see hiit in your handle. I have done something called "Timmon's sprints". You've probably heard of it. 20 secs full sprint, then 2 min rest/walk, repeat 3x. Then recently I went on a 1.5 mile run, but did the whole things with these sprints interspersed. I felt fine afterward but I got crazy calf cramps that night, including the front of the calf. Obviously I overdid it.

Anyways I want to build and maintain good cardio conditioning without the boring 2-5 mile jogs, and I heard hiit is good for that and with shorter training periods. What are your thoughts?

Also a regular gym session is a bit like hiit I think. 20-30 secs to bang out 10 reps, and then 2 min rest. Maybe my gym session is doing my cardio workout.

@afraidoftheend JJ my brother!

We gotta share some war stories of gym work for the over 60 crowd. I just got into a little over 3 hears ago. Dropped 65, and while I'm not as cut as you obviously are (woah) but damn does it feel good!

I wanted to comment on two things you mentioned above. The first is hiit being kind of like a gym session. I developed a routine of back to back exercises with a quick walk/jog during the 3 minute "rest" period. I find that a 3 minute rest works better for me than a shorter one and I don't like to waste time. The walk jog keeps my heartrate in cardio zone for most of the workout time. I hate doing regular cardio.

And second, a part of the reason I hate cardio; you mentioned those calf cramps. That's what is keeping me from doing any running. The run/walk routine you mention (just a run though, not a full sprint) is what my doctor prescribed for therapy. Didn't work worth crap, I can't get much more than the 20 seconds of running before the cramp starts. Ever heard of something like that? I'm guessing age-related.

@williejdyson
I developed a routine of back to back exercises with a quick walk/jog during the 3 minute "rest" period.

I might try that. I find it difficult to just sit there resting for 2-3 min. Of course if I leave the equipment someone else might take my place. Lately I have been interspersing stretches in the rest periods.

As for cramps, what is your diet like? Cramps can be related to dehydration alone or combined with low electrolytes. We've had low salt preached to us most of our lives, but the body needs some sodium. I'm on a keto diet, which is slightly dehydrating and we are supposed to supplement sodium, magnesium, and potassium. I never get cramps during exercise, but I get them at night if I overdo my exercise, or sometimes related to alcohol consumption driven dehydration. I might be phasing out alcohol.

@afraidoftheend Could be dehydration, could be alcohol related. I drink about 1.5 liters of pre/during workout drink and I've just started adding gatorade for electrolytes, we'll see how that goes. My doctor thinks it could be peripheral vascular disease, but it's not bad enough to warrant any invasive intervention. (apparently being able to run a 5K is not a quality of life issue) I'm also on a bp med that is supposed to be potassium-sparing, but who knows?

I stopped alcohol for about a year when I was losing weight. Felt great, but I'm off the wagon now. Life is short.

Of course if I leave the equipment someone else might take my place.

Happens all the time. My gym has a "work through" policy so I just walk up to the 20-something sitting there on his phone, ask if I can work in, then bump the weight a couple notches. Feels good.

@williejdyson I hope you do not have peripheral vascular disease. Docs sometimes generalize their guesses based on age group. Running is said to double the capillaries in the calves. I do some creative visualization with health related issues. It seems to work.

@afraidoftheend
Also a regular gym session is a bit like hiit I think. 20-30 secs to bang out 10 reps, and then 2 min rest. Maybe my gym session is doing my cardio workout.

I agree, I did a quick circuit bodyweight workout yesterday. I just started working with a trainer and let them know that it felt like a HIIT workout which was great since my knees can't take the jumping around of a traditional HIIT program.

@inneed87 I had been doing super slow reps based on some reading, but then learned that faster reps are better for building muscle, so now I am lifting at the same tempo I used in my 20s, lol. It's definitely like HIIT. My heart is pounding after a set.