2 years of calisthenics at 42 years old – Progress report!

@mudmixer What a great physique, man. Thanks for sharing this, sir. I'm a complete beginner. I would like to ask if you stay on 3x5 and add more weight when it seems easy to you already? For example I do 3x5 pullups with no weight and to progress, I should add 5kg of weight with the same 3x5?

@bob71154 Thanks!!

Personally, I'd wait for 310 with bodyweight before adding weight. After that, I'd go for 35 with some weight and increase to 3*8 before adding weight. Also, I'd start with chin ups when adding weight and increase to about 20 kg before switching to hammer grip pull ups then regular pullups. I feel like it's easier to progress and add weight with chin ups and then keep the weight the same while progressing to hammer, then regular pullups until I hit the same level that I reached with weighted chins. I feel safer starting a heavier weight with chin ups since the biceps can help more.

This is of course just my experience and you might find a better way.

As for dips, I can add more weight to my dips than to my pullups, but I hardly ever do weighted dips because I'm still getting great results with bodyweight handstand pushup progressions.

@andraus Yes, because it significantly limits the amount of assistance you can get from the strap. You can also decrease or increase the assistance by adding or removing weight. It also gives you an idea of how much you are improving. 4 months ago I was able to do one with 8 kg assistance and recently I did it with 6 kg assistance, which gives me an idea of my progress to my goal.

However, if a fixed strap is already very difficult, that's where you should start.

Also if you are training for OAC, it's good to try different options like using a resistance band, which simulates the movement pattern a little better.

Anyway, FitnessFAQs did a video about the weight assistance method.

@alexhendry Thanks. Depending on how much I eat, it ranges from 20-40 units a day.

Another very important factor in my blood sugar control is that I use a DIY artificial pancreas system called AndroidAPS. It helps to prevent low and high sugar, but it takes a lot of work to get it set up right.

@mudmixer I really needed to see and hear this man. I just became a new father at 33 and it’s been an adjustment. I use to do work all the time but my setup changed drastically as did my lifestyle.

I sincerely feel inspired and less down on myself for not being where I was. Thank you very much for sharing just a realistic level of fitness thats achievable and challenging.

Appreciate you bro 👊🏼

@mudmixer Your journey has inspired me to start in this world. I'm nearly 40 now (in a few months), had an awesome athleticisms when I was young but over the last decade I've been a couch potato and hate it. Probably will update my journey over the next few months/years like you did. Great job!