7.1 lbs of muscle in 8 weeks possible natty? (stanford university experiment, link included)

kpmasonry

Two identical twins took part in a Stanford University experiment. One was put on a vegan diet and another on a regular diet. I'm NOT interested in the diet aspect, just interested in the muscle building aspect, that is it possible to build 7.1 lbs of muscle natty in just 8 week?

https://nypost.com/2024/01/10/lifestyle/were-identical-twins-one-of-us-went-vegan-this-happened/

Stats

Height: 5'6;
Working out since 12: So 11 yrs of training already;
Starting weight: 138.6 lbs;
Visceral Fat: 0.22 lbs;
Body fat: 11%;
Training: Cardio, weights, HIIT;
Period: 8 weeks;
Muscle added: 7.1 lbs.

Is this realistic? Or do they have something wrong?

@kpmasonry In my opinion no not possible.
I would assume they are using “muscle gain” instead of lean mass.
You could start taking creatine, drinking a lot of water with never have gone to the gym and a scan will show an increase in lean mass.

@kpmasonry DEXAs have terrible margins of error. They are fairly useless for the average person unless you do multiple over time, with the same technician and machine, and similar conditions

@kpmasonry In my opinion the scans are cool to do at the start/end of a bulk/cut because who doesn’t love numbers and data! But I think theyare inaccurate and would never use the information to make adjustments to a program.
I would just do things how you’ve been doing them for the best baseline.

@kpmasonry They did used that, I watched the documentary on netflix with the entire thing.

Lady did mentioned Lean Mass on some point instead of muscles. But in the end results they put it as muscle.

I think could be just a way to make easier on the general public to understand it.

@kpmasonry AS far as I know, 1-2lbs per month is generally regarded as the limit. This guy apparently did equivalent of 3.55 in four weeks. So like 2x more than what is generally regarded as possible.

Doesn't seem likely.

@kpmasonry You need to remember that water is considered lean mass on a DEXA. I've had this experience where I did a DEXA fasted then another one 8 weeks later but drank a few glasses of water on the way and it showed that I had gained several pounds of lean mass and the majority of it was in my trunk.

@kpmasonry I haven’t looked into the study, but this reminds need of the Colorado experiment. Basically, they wanted to prove high intensity training was the best way to train and their study had participants gain insane amounts of muscle in a very short period of time.

The thing that doesn’t get highlighted though is the fact that they were pro bodybuilders who were severely underweight and were then put on a weight gaining diet and suddenly providing stimulus to their muscles. It certainly helps prove that “muscle memory” is a thing and it will come back quicker after losing it than when you gained it in the first place, but gaining more than a couple pounds a month as a natural doesn’t seem likely. Bromley did a good video on the topic.

I suppose it’s possible if you’re completely new to lifting and very underweight, but that’s not a realistic number for long term muscle growth. Advanced lifters will be lucky to see that in a year.

@kpmasonry Im no scientist or anything like that, but using common sense, 7 pounds of muscle in 2 months sounds absolutely insane and not possible naturally. I may be wrong and I hope I am cause that would be crazy good.

@kpmasonry It is possible, i even saw it when Goku trained to fight Freeza, he only ate rice, and gained a lot of muscle. Even during the fight he was able to buff up further while changing his hair style and color and keeping his 16-pack.

@kpmasonry Maybe close to it if he was a total noob and suddenly started eating in a surplus and lifting optimally (2x per week per muscle group). But 7lbs is a fucking ton

@kpmasonry The study itself didn't measure body fat percentage. The primary outcomes were LDL-C, fasting insulin, and body weight. Body weight was measured with a scale. They didn't do DEXA in the experiment. Who knows where they got these numbers from