80g/day of protein on average?

flyingforjesus

I'm losing weight and find a good diet for me has me coming in at 75g of protein (mostly tofu) on Day A and 88g of protein on Day B, and these just alternate. Day B is the harder exercise day, so I eat a little more protein.

This averages to 81g, so let's call it 80g a day.

I'm M49, 163 lbs, 5'9" and want to lose about 16 lbs of fat and also continue to gain muscle. I seem to be making some progress in terms of push-ups, running, dips, etc. on this amount of protein. If I'm strict about it, I can lose 2-2.5 lbs of weight/week and it feels great to make that progress. Once I hit my goal weight, I'll increase calories to maintenance.

Anyone else about my proportions make long-term progress at about 80g of protein a day and a serious caloric deficit?

@flyingforjesus I mean sounds like you got your own method down, but I'd still advise upping your protein intake much more, esp for your height and body weight. Your body burns more calories through thermo-genesis if you eat more protein. Meaning along with your workouts and daily activity, your body is burning more calories to just break the protein down.

I recommend these two videos as they helped me the most in cutting fat as well as gaining/maintaining muscle. Cheers!

Video 1

Video 2

@dawn16 Thanks. It seems like it might be very challenging to be a) vegan, b) losing weight, and c) getting enough protein for optimal muscle growth--or even maintenance--without d) things getting expensive due to the need for vegan protein powder or just more tofu or whatever. Also cuts into my calories from other nutrient types.

@flyingforjesus You do have a point, though I will say getting great protein sources for a cheap price is alot easier these days even if you want to avoid protein powders. Beans and lentils are almost always dirt cheap, and at my local walmart, such things as a block of tofu is under a dollar per block. Tofu and edamame being excellent choices imo. I would also say nuts. Quinoa is also maybe $3 a bag(depending on the volume) and trust me a little goes a long way.

Also maybe try legume based store brand pasta, those are packed with protein. Got a whole box of store brand whole grain spaghetti for a dollar and that packs alot of protein per serving.

Again not saying to increase it expeditiously, but I'm sure eating maybe at least 100 instead of 80 might be more effective for your goals in the long run. :)