A couple questions about Seitan

ladyestellarose

l've always strayed away from "half-fabricates" (dunno what to call them), like tofu or tempeh and instead cooked from scratch. Until just now l thought Seitan was another soy product, so colour me suprised when it's from wheat and seems quite simple to do at home, so now l'm intrigued to expand my protein beyond legumes :D
  1. Previously l thought wheat protein was on the lower-end of the quality spectrum (not talking about gluten-phobia), but seeing as many in here eats it regularly, is it maybe not so bad?
  2. Any ideas what you can do with the starch water that you seperate from the gluten?
  3. Any tips for doing homemade? Any particular spices/seasoning?

@ladyestellarose I've never made it myself, I really should start to though. What I do know is it's FUCKING DELICIOUS. Also super high protein and if I am not mistaken the amino acid profile is a nice compliment to legumes if you are one to worry about that stuff

@ladyestellarose Wheat gluten is a high quality protein. Just 50g covers beyond 100% of DRI for all your essential amino acids except for lysine (it reaches 40%). If you compare this with milk protein of which 50g also covers 100% except for cystine (only 43%).

@kk873 Huh, cool. l'm not well-read into amino acids, but sounds good that it has such high protein profile & DRI. Quick google said that Lysin is available in some doses in legumes, so l guess it's a good complement?

Back