A stranger corrected my form at the gym

@jewsusmckwanzaadon They're just regular people, you don't have to read about them somewhere like they're rare New Zealand botanicals 😜. Really buff jerks is a movie stereotype character. Some people are jerks regardless of whether they lift weights. But I suppose most people want most people to do well in their endeavors!

@veroch Yeah you’d be surprised, though some of them may seem smug and unapproachable there are a lot of them that just enjoy seeing people trying to improve themselves as they are. I never judge people for using lighter weights… I am much more judgemental of dudes trying to go super heavy and clearly have terrible form, that’s likely just an ego demonstration. I have mad respect for the people showing up every day and working hard and am always welcome to tips and advice, new exercises, etc.

@veroch I will accept all types of tips and techniques to minimize injury and improve my form. I'm currently drinking in all of Jeff Nippard's shorts.

@veroch Nice man! That's awesome!

I want to get started going to the gym but I haven't gone since I was in HS & never like, seriously. While I know obvious stuff like don't lift stuff with your back, I don't really know what I'm doing and couldn't afford a trainer to get me actually rolling so I end up just not doing it.

It's possible, at least for me, not speaking the same language might actually alleviate some of the awkwardness 🤣
But for real, the only thing worse than not doing something correctly & getting hurt or even just wasting my time, would be having someone (or several someones) being like "look at this dumbass" 🤣

@veroch Even though they have the best intentions, this is the reason I stopped using public gyms.

I just find it incredibly rude. Like walking up to someone in a cinema and explaining the plot, themes and symbolism in case they don’t get it

@lovemachine Yeah, super rude telling someone how to do something properly, thus, avoiding injury and limiting gains. Especially as he was nice whilst doing it. I mean, the nerve of the man.

@kepha23 Yes super rude coming up to people who don’t want to be approached. If I’m not doing it to your liking, let me learn from my mistake rather than a never ending conga line of men showing their technique to each other.
It’s clowns like you that make this worse - thinking anyone should be approached and we’re all just dying to be disturbed.

I’m glad you enjoyed your interaction. I wouldn’t. That’s my preference. Assuming we’re all like you is the problem.

@lovemachine Perhaps pop a sign round your neck saying not to disturb you, that you'd rather mess your back up for the rest of your life. That way, people can not direct you to the nearest A&E either.

Back