Advice needed

singerpoet

Every time I try to incorporate working out into my routine. I last anywhere from 1-2 weeks, to a month at most. Then, I give up. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations to combat this issue? I wanna feel excited about working out and I want it to become a habit, not only for the physical benefits but also for my mental health. I do want to lose 10-15 lbs within the next two months, if that is even possible so this is another driving force. I just don’t know what workouts to do or how to find the motivation to stick with it. P.s. I don’t like going to the gym, i can’t afford a membership and I get nervous at the gym and usually workout at home. I have access to a treadmill and a few different hand weights.

@singerpoet I had issues with making a workout a habit as well in the beginning. What I did was look for a workout challenge to get me started. There are lots of them out there and if you work to complete them then they can get you into the habit. I did a 28 day calisthenics challenge to get me back into it. I lost weight so added in weight training to add muscle and strength (no equipment and at home).

Another option to help make it a habit is a reward system. Pick something you really like (a treat, tv show, chapter of a book…) and only allow yourself to have it after a workout. This can encourage you to complete a workout to get that item and help make it a habit.

You can do it. And if need more encouragement just post and I’ll be happy to give it. Good luck.

@singerpoet Small, baby steps to achieve permanent change in your life. Your brain is wired to pick the easy option and to maintain the path of least resistance. Sometimes those steps have to be tiny ones. For example, you might simply start by going for a walk daily. 2 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, doesn't matter. Go out and walk or hit that treadmill. After a week, make it 15 minutes per day. Add some bodyweight squats a few times per week. Then add some press movement using your weights at home. Once any kind of physical activity becomes a habit, it's much easier to increase the intensity of it.

"Can't outrun a bad diet", is how the saying goes. It is much easier to consume calories than it is to burn them off. Losing weight is mostly about your diet and you need to be in a calorie deficit. Generally, the safe rate for weight loss is around 1-2 lbs per week. 10-15 lbs over 8 weeks fits right in!

@singerpoet I'll give you my example. I started my weight loss journey jogging and transitioned into sprinting+walking. Hated every minute of it. Did some circuit style HIIT. Didn't enjoy it either. Yoga wasn't for me either. Started resistance training and weight training - loved every minute of it. Every weight training workout ended with me completely exhausted yet looked forward to next days training.

Find something that makes you happy.

@singerpoet First 2-3 months are usually the hardest, in my opinion at least. You see almost no progress, and need to just constantly drag yourself out. But the soonest you see progress, that's when my motivation kicks in till it eventually becomes part of my lifestyle.

It's a real mental battle, even after how many months, you'll probably see yourself in the same situation again (happened to me when my gains "plateaud") and barely went to the gym for a whole month. Got over it and eventually got back to my habit again.

I'd recommend to start slow, even if it's just getting out of bed and making your bed afterwards - consistently, will help in getting in to thaf discipline of actually doing it. The routine is repetitive and boring, so it's all a mental battle and not "motivation" per se

Back