Ahoy, Tiny Goddesses! I got my rowing machine and I love it!

avafish

Hey you Pocket Venuses, thanks for so much support and good advice on my last post. I LOVE this community!

Sorry for my lack of replies, I guess I'm not great at this reddit thing. Anyway I got my rowing machine and I am ecstatic with it. Sharing a link here,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YNWWFXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because the main reason I chose this one, besides price, was the reviews from users 4'9" to 6'4".

This means both I and my very tall boyfriend can use it! (Not our fault those tall guys love us, amiright?)

Anyway this is huge. I've been languishing on my boring old stair machine since my favorite pilates instructor changed careers during the pandemic, plus I am recovering from a wrist injury that made it really hard to do much meaningful upper body work for at least a year. So I'm all jello and mush. But now my back and core muscles are AWAKE and I feel so great!

Anyway I just had to share my happiness and thanks, you petites ROCK!

Feel free to share more rowing advice or inspiration.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I meant to ask, what do y'all think of the calorie counters on exercise machines? How does everyone in the world not drown themselves in a vat of melted ice cream when they see the pitiful readout? I bust my literal and metaphorical butt for 15 minutes (working my way up to 25 or 30), and it's 35 calories or something? And the calorie count does not change when you adjust the resistance, it's always about 7 strokes = 1 calorie burned, no matter what? And what about the calories burned in that elevated state after we hop off the machine? Who knows anything about this?

@kellypmart I also have no insight on the burn but am also curious. 35 calories for 15 minutes of pretty intense cardio just doesn’t sound right. Google says a 125 pound person can burn 255 calories for 30 minutes of vigorous rowing, so I’d think OP would be burning a minimum of 100 calories depending on their weight. OP, if you don’t already have one you might want to look into a fit bit or something that will measure heart rate to wear while you exercise. I think it would give you a more correct calorie count.

@avafish Congrats on the rower! I missed your original post but I have a Concept 2 rower I use mostly during the colder winter months here but it is indeed, without question, a fabulous piece of equipment and a damned decent workout. Especially if you have the kind that lets you adjust the resistance. 😁

Please come back periodically to share how you're liking it! I'm eager to hear your thoughts.

@avafish I just got into using the rowing machine on the advice of my gym's trainer...and I love it too. Why, you ask? Full body workout, cardio plus strength and the boob factor. I can get my heart rate up very quickly with the rower vs treadmill. I get a leg, arm and back workout all in one. And my boobs are so happy that we aren't attempting a jog.
I like to switch up my grip to target my arms in different ways: over hand and under. Then I'll switch up the tempo: 2 fast short pulls and one long. I'll do several sets of those and then switch back to full pulls. I can pull straight back but then also do higher pulls to change the focus. Once I get into a good rhythm, I can actually close my eyes and get into an almost meditative state. I'm not worried about falling off like the treadmill or stair climber.
Most importantly is good form: making sure I'm sitting upright and not moving my back. And since my poor boobs aren't getting bounced around, I can sustain a much longer workout at a higher intensity than the treadmill. I can totally feel that good ache in my back and arms at night after a rowing session. It's been a great addition to my workout.

@avafish Ooh, great purchase! I row as my primary form of exercise, on the water and using a Concept2 machine. I’ve been rowing consistently for about a year now and it’s done absolute wonders for my thighs and butt (as in, I have a shadow of quad definition and a butt that is no longer non-existent).

Regarding the calorie count, that sounds really low. When I manage 50 minutes of diabolical hell on the Concept2, my AppleWatch says I’ve burned ~400 calories, depending on intensity. That’s around 80 every 10 minutes. Granted, the Concept2 is an erg and I’ve never used the machine you have, but if the mechanism and movement is at all similar to an erg, you’re definitely burning more than 35 calories in 15 minutes.

@avafish This is a Fakespot Reviews Analysis bot. Fakespot detects fake reviews, fake products and unreliable sellers using AI.

Here is the analysis for the Amazon product reviews:

Name: Lanos Hydraulic Rowing Machine with Adjustable Resistance, Folding Arms, LCD Monitor & Ergonomic Seat

Company: Lanos

Amazon Product Rating: 4.3

Fakespot Reviews Grade: B

Adjusted Fakespot Rating: 4.3

Analysis Performed at: 07-16-2022

Link to Fakespot Analysis | Check out the Fakespot Chrome Extension!

Fakespot analyzes the reviews authenticity and not the product quality using AI. We look for real reviews that mention product issues such as counterfeits, defects, and bad return policies that fake reviews try to hide from consumers.

We give an A-F letter for trustworthiness of reviews. A = very trustworthy reviews, F = highly untrustworthy reviews. We also provide seller ratings to warn you if the seller can be trusted or not.

@avafish So glad you are loving the rower and hope you get the most out of it. Your calories burnt is in relation to the power you’re rowing. Look at the watts you’re rowing at. I’ve found that I can keep up with taller people of average fitness (like OFT but not in crossfit) if my strokes(pull) are more powerful with a slower return. Concentrate on driving your heels and pulling. Try pull for 1 sec and return with2-3secs. It’s hard as hell to actually row for cals in as little time as possible.
I did a 50cal row on the weekend in 8mins.
It was part of the below .. the row and the bike is the worse..
1km run
50cal row
1km run
50cal bike
1km run
50 burpees
1km run

@avafish My calorie counter is always so low on the row machine. It’s baffling BUT I justify it to myself like it’s more of a strength training excessive which doesn’t have much calorie output on the counters but the workout burns calories for longer (I read that once, no source lol)

Back