Anytime F SC@M?

@jimbigheart Hello! I hear your frustrations and I’m not trying to invalidate you but since you used the “Discussion” flair I’m gonna share my experience and opinion.

March 27, 2024, paid 2650 for the month’s subscription but then may charge na ulit today April 1.
  • Possible na may miscommunication na this is key fab payment OR key fab (2,500) + prorated membership fee for March. And while they should discuss the contract and rules, it’s also our duty to read the fine print and ask questions before signing and it says there payment is every 1st day of month (I just checked mine right now to verify).
We were misled. Akala namin kasama na yung services ng trainers sa subscription.
  • Can you elaborate how they misled you? Nung nagsign up kasi ako they didn’t even mention PT and when I asked how much it was they said I should check later the rates when I get my 1 free PT session. I believe they give that for assessment talaga and makapagsalestalk to avail the services.
Six months daw bago maachieve yung goal weight namin.

To be fair, although they are doing sales talk I believe kung hindi lang 1-2kilos ang balak mo igain/lose, okay yung ganung timeline para rin hindi ka maoverload at the start and give up halfway. It’s healthier to do it slowly & consistently. Yes gets ko na mahal. Ganyan rin sinabi sakin I should atleast have 3 months but I said I can only afford 12 sessions kasi gusto ko lang naman matutunan machines and to have my forms checked as a beginner. So at the end of the day it’s up to us if we want to avail.

EDIT: Dagdag ko lang last point,

After the subscription hindi kami inintroduce sa equipments and facilities. Pinagbayad lang then wala na.
  • Again I’m assuming you’re talking about gym subscription and not PT. Since this is commercial gym, they won’t assume you know nothing about the equipments but if you ask one of them they’ll actually give you a tour. Usually eto rin ginagawa kapag inavail yung “free PT” aka assessment time. So siguro lesson learned nalang for next time.
I’m sorry you had a bad experience especially with pointing out flaws, unprofessionally I assume. I hope you wouldn’t let this ruin what you wanted to start. Wear earphones and ignore them. Do your own thing tutal may kasama ka namang friend. Or if you really want, move to another gym but don’t let them discourage your efforts to be healthier.

@richardb I agree, when I signed up during a promo. I was only asked to pay for the keyfob and then I was given a 5 day pass every week until I receive my Keyfob. Also, AF is using an advance payment system. You're actually paying for the month not the month before.

@dawn16 This. Kung magbabayd si OP nung monthly makikita niyang for the month of April na yung babayaran nya so parang nakalibre siya ng 5 days (sa standards ng AF) dahil yung 2650 na yun na yung bayad sa keyfob.

@jimbigheart You did not pay 2650 for the month of March. Every gym you join there is a one time joining fee + payment for the month + keyfob/access card/whatever is used to gain entry to the gym. AF monthly rate is at least 2200. You would have had to pay well over 4-5k if the 2650 is the March monthly payment.

All gyms in every country I've been to separate yung bayad ng trainer. I don't know if there even is a gym na free yung trainer when you're a member. So I doubt they meant to misled you as I don't think they would tell you free yung trainer. It's possible na they said free yung classes conducted by their certified trainers. Iba pa yun sa 1on1 sessions with the trainers.

Congratulations on starting your fitness journey at home. But you can't get upset kasi hindi nakita ng coaches yung progress nyo after 3 months pa lang. Working out is not the exercise I would recommend for people who want instant gratification. It takes years and years talaga to achieve your goals.

Of course the trainer will point out flaws. Trabaho nila yan eh. They know you have goals and they point out where you need more work to achieve those goals. Don't get hiya to go back to the gym dahil lang dun. Everyone there is trying to better themselves. And believe me everyone will see flaws in the mirror. Even those big guys you see at the gym aren't happy with how they look. Ako nga I get compliments from people walking around lang pero when I see myself in the mirror nandidiri ako sa body ko. And also 1400 for a trainer is low nga eh. Bigger gyms usually mga 2k pataas ang trainer. And you can't get upset with them for trying to make a sale kasi trabaho nila yan. They have quotas. And aside from quotas a lot of these trainers minimum wage or even below and they rely on commissions talaga to earn a decent wage.

All this being said I hope you don't give up on your fitness goals. If you want instant gratification yung tipong after 3-6 months macocompliment kaagad kayo then I'd suggest trying a different form of exercise. Pero if gusto nyo talaga mag workout then ituloy nyo lang. You can always go to a different AF branch after the first month if your membership if you don't want to support that branch anymore.

@jimbigheart Sayang talaga if you were to leave after that bad experience. You already gained momentum from your home workouts so make the most out of your new membership. I know it sucks kasi they capitalized on your excitement, but sadly that's how they unethically do their sales. It's a business, and their reps are after sales quota.

I also felt misled when I first had a gym membership. Lalo na, upfront ang daming perks aka "inclusions" pero sa totoo lang, fillers lang naman (assessment, Tanita body composition analysis, coaching session, freebies, etc.). But I learned from that and now on my almost half a decade-long membership with AF. When I joined AF, di ko na inavail mga inclusions that came along with the membership kasi I didn't find value in them. Thanks to experience, and reading, I was already aware of proper form, diet, and other computations that go along with reaching my fitness goal.

If I were you, use your membership to its full benefit. Politely decline coaching offers. Di yan magpupush if they sense na di sila makakabenta ng sessions sa inyo. Kasi after sila sa quota so sayang din time for them. I presume learned naman na kayo sa proper form. But better to read on, and watch videos to correct whatever needs correcting. Take videos and compare para makita niyo anong kailangang ayusin. Show up sa gym to maximize your 24/7 membership. After a month, pwede na kayo sa ibang AF branches. By then, try other ones din para mafeel niyo yung legit perks ng AF (anytime, anywhere).

Try to negotiate na i-waive if not pro-rate yung nagamit niyo na days nung March. The manager can do that. Kahit frustrating, try to talk them into doing that. So far, nadadaan sila sa usap.

Congrats on taking the step towards your goals! Tuloy na yan!

@ignissus Di po ba kasama yun sa initial na bayad?🥲 dumayo lang ren ako sa af to see ano ang experience ng mag gym ulit since home/garage gym lang ako. Siguro dahil maaga ako kaya feeling ko di gaano ako naexcite😅. Tas ewan ko lang, pakiramdam ko sa coach nila ay coach coachan🤣

@cosmictraveller Pag new joiner Kasi merong joiner fee saka key fob fee which is one time lang. Tapos since nagstart ka march 27 dapat prorated for that month. Baka yun ung 2650. As for the coach, Mahal talaga at di rin Naman halos magagaling mga coach nila. I would suggest you create your own routine na Lang since may experience Naman kayo with home workout

@jimbigheart I am not from AF nor have I ever signed up with them. I am just another fitness enthusiast din who has trained in gyms and hired coaches. I'd like to point out some things:

1. You were probably charged for the keyfob, not the month's subscription.

2. Everybody knows that the membership fee is for gym use only, and if you want a trainer, it is a separate payment. This is true in any gym. Maybe you should have done more research?

3. During the assessment, the coaches observe your form and note your current base fitness. It is irrelevant naman kung ano yung progress niyo sa home workouts in the past 3 months. What matters is your form and fitness now.

3. It takes several months talaga to achieve your goal weight. You don't need to have a coach for six months. You can get a coach for the first few sessions para maayos ang form mo and for you to learn the fundamentals. After that, you can be on your own.

@jimbigheart May I know what branch po ito? So far okay naman ung dito sa AF Santana Grove (Sucat). Pricey talaga siya pero very convenient siya for me. Also availed their PT sessions (50 sessions) kasi obese ako. But once I hit my GW and find my footing, will do the program myself.

@jimbigheart siguro nasa branch din talaga? Nung nag join ako last year around mid april, sabi nila "free" na daw yung month of april dahil ang payment daw sakanila is end of month. so yung payment ko ng end of april ay for the month of may na.

sorry sa bad management pa kayo napatapat. I second yung suggestion ng other redditor, Lipat nalang ng branch. though sayang din talaga kung sila yung malapit na branch sa place nyo

@bbfromokie Ang laki ng difference talaga sa management between iba ibang branch. Nung nag join din ako hindi start ng month and they didn't charge me na for that month, next month na pina start sakin yung monthly payment. Hindi din pushy yung mga coaches sa home gym ko and they're very professional. Swertihan lang talaga sa branch.

@jimbigheart Depende cguro to sa branch and how accommodating the staff assisting you. When I joined AF, very clear lahat ng details, payment, monthly, keyfob, trainer, etc. Generally though, napapansin ko if it's close to month end na, they waive the current monthly fee and next billing (1st of the next month) ang babayaran.

But 2650 is crazy expensive though. Not sure if all branches have the same marketing protocol and promos though, maybe its different.

@jimbigheart Key fob ata yung nakapamahal dun sa initial payment nyo + pro-rated kung ilang days natitira for the month. Hayaan mo na yung nag sales talk sainyo, and kung snob mga coach edi i-snob nyo na lang din. I’ve been working out in AF for almost 2 years na, never got a personal trainer kasi it’s too expensive and wala naman sila matutulong sayo in reality. Nasa sainyo na yan kung masusulit nyo yung bayad nyo, 24/7 naman yung gym e so you can go anytime you want. As for the workouts naman, napakadami mo matututunan sa internet, especially sa proper form. Mahal nga lang nung 2650 per month haha

@jimbigheart Headphones ka lang, tas, wag mo sila pansinin. Focus lang kayo ng kasama mo sa isa't isa.

Di ata nawawala yung mga ganito sa mga membership gyms, medyo natutunan ko na nga art of not giving a fuck sa mga tutulungan ka naman, pero pag sure sila wala silang mahihita sayo, titigilan karin nila.

Mas makapal muka ko at want makatipid, wala silang magagawa, di naman nila ikayayaman yung pang ookray sayo 😅 Eventually, they'll leave you alone.

If need nyo ng assistance, online resources and videos are your go-tos

Back