Are clothes getting bigger or is it just me? 5'2,160lbs, size 8, and fitting smalls???

yakob123

I'm in my 30s and I haven't been 160 lbs since high school (so at least 20 years) . I understand that the muscle I've built changed my shape and I'm more lean but it's no way I should be fitting into a size small! I'm not "thin" by any means and my bra size is a 32 J (GG). I was a size 12 last time I was at this weight in like 2005. I know the world is changing to accommodate more modern beauty standards, so has anyone else experienced this? Are women who are actually "small" having a hard time finding clothes due to sizes running bigger?

@yakob123 I think everyone younger is just wearing wicked baggy clothes so like a small fits like an xl now and I’m like look how snug and perfect but really it’s supposed to be way baggier. Same with wider leg trousers. If I buy them small enough they just fit like loose pants.

@leviishere Yep, oversize has been the style for a couple of years now. Some of the trendy looks I saw in editorial photos about 2-3 years ago when it started taking off looked like you fit 2 people in one outfit. The pants are also longer with all the flare and wide leg styles. Cropped shirts are very popular but so are the longer oversized sweatshirts. Long cardigans are hot again but regular sweaters are either a more cropped length or at the waist/top of hip.

@leviishere I don’t think this is entirely the case. I’ve been having issues with dresses that are supposed to be fitted being too big in an XS and I’m not even /that/ small

@captjohnsheridan Exactly!!! I don’t care what the number on the label is, I just want the size chart to be accurate. I hate it when according to the chart I should be an 8, so I compensate by ordering a 6 and it turns out I actually need a 2.

@aliveinchrist99 wouldn’t this imply that women back then were malnourished and extremely thin?

so if anything, is “vanity” sizing bad? esp if we consider how women back then were more likely to be anorexic housewives that are hyped up on speed and cigarettes?

@yakob123 Yeah it’s crazy. I’m 5’3 130ish lbs and sometimes I’m buying S/XS. My jeans are size 4!! I can’t imagine what actually small people are wearing.

@mayz It depends on the brand. I (5'1" 117lbs) wear a size 0 in Old Navy jeans, but a size 6 jeans in Hollister. I absolutely hate it. Do men have this issue?

@djoyforever LOL no, men do not have this issue. They have actual waist sizes in jeans. I buy my oldest 30-30 in American Eagle jeans but in women’s sizes we get 4 long, 4 regular, 4 short, 4 extra short etc … It’s total crap. They don’t even tell you the inseam in women’s sizes, and every style is different.

@mayz Very anecdotal, but my teacup sized sister buys clothes from Asian retailers online for fitted clothes. For a baggier look she buys the XS from American and European brands.

Back